News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SS Hobbies Strathmoor Stunter  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
SS Hobbies Strathmoor Stunter
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »
I received my Strathmoor Stunter today and my observations are: rating 1-10
1) Packaging and box apperance:  It has a very nice label with a very good description of contents and needed items. The contents are packaged good but hardware even though in a plastic bag did leave an imprint on one of the flaps, a little water on them cleared that up. The decals were loose and would be better in the instruction booklet. I know pick pick. I give it a 9 as everything else was very good.
2) Lazer cutting, and wood selection. The lazer cutting is excellent and so is the wood. It might be Joes first kit but not Eric Rule's as it is cut by RSM. The wing ribs are cut for 5/32nd jig wires (adjusto-jig). Plywood doublers are 1/8" and extend past the wing spars. This deserves a 10
3) Hardware. RSM's complete hardware package is included along with fusalage mounted dural landing gear. Tip box,lead outs,adj lead outs,B/C,push rod wires,arrow shaft. No hinges are included, the B/C mounts are for a suspended type set up but no 1/8" post. Engine bolts are not included or landing gear hardware. tail wheel wire (unbent) is included. I give it 9.5
4) Instructions,Plans. Full step by step instructions by Wynn Robins, and Auto Cad by Robin Sizemore, no need to say more it gets a 10
5) Construction. The fusalage is 1/2" Profile, 1/4" laminated,flaps are 1/4" sheet. Rudder,elev,stab are built up. Wing is typical C tube. Nose ring and bulsa tripler with wheel pants, maple engine mounts.  give it 9.5
 Specs:  WS  55"   LG  39"  Sq.In. 460   35-46 engine
 I was very pleased with this first kit of Joe's. It should build up light and very fast. Even has silk span and at the price of 79.99 a very good bargan. One more thing I like the label on the box that states "MADE IN THE USA"
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: SS Hobbies Strathmoor Stunter
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »
made in the USA...but the first one was built in NEW ZEALAND.......with a lot of bits from over here....

Glad you like it....how do you like the build article?   Let me know as I need to develop others and would appreciate feedback on what I can do better.

the original airplane (on the box lid ) flies VERY well indeed.......let me know your thoughts when you have built it.

Wynn
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »
Yep correct, the plans call it the Detroit Stunter.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »
the I-beam wing was not shown on the original plan as the construction method was supposedly "hush hush" with the detroit guys.....

I ahve the original plans and article for the full fue plane

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 09:44:22 PM »
Ty,
I have heard of the strathmoor being built I-beam.....but never seen the plans......

the rudder/fin reminds me of the spitfire....I am with you...I dont particularly like the shape....but I think that has more to do with the main wings not having the same curves as the tailplane and fin........

still....this plane flies VERY well...I know have my kit as well...so will build it when I get time.

W

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 11:28:36 AM »
I always admired Rollie McDonald when I was growing up as a kid.  Such beautiful designs.  I would talk to him at the VSC.  He told me to send ten dollars and I would get a set of plans.  He sent plans for three versions of his design.  He also told me that they wore built in many configurations and sizes.  The D-tube was shown for guys that did not understand I-beam construction.  Landing gear went from wing to fuse and back on each one.  The third plan even showed a tricycle gear.  The one I built was not worthy to honor the man, but, he liked it.  I plan on building another one.   He is missed.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 08:28:15 AM »
To the members of that club the plane was also known as the Detroiter and there were many versions.Here is one I built many years ago it is called the Saturn. It was in Pampa Magazine about 10 years ago.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here