News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Score Review  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Louis Rankin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Score Review
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:01:32 AM »
Ok, here is the review for the new Score from Top Flite:

Covering - Not monokote, some cheap knockoff.  Appearance was fair and usable.

Construction - Construction outstanding and appears that it will hold up to competition; however the front firewall and rear stab access areas are cause for concern.  Mine will get some attention in those areas.

Motor mount - R/C type and the firewall has a 2 degree offset built-in.

Tank - Have not measrued its capacity yet, appears to be more than 4oz but less than 6oz.

Control system - Leadouts are short,  maybe too short.  Bellcrank is the of the old Fox and Perfect type metal.  Push rods, thin and flexable; however the flap to elevator rod includes an aluminum tube that you put the rod ends on.  Flap and elevator horns are of good contruction but not bushed.

Weight - I weighed all of the components and sub-assemblies.  The all up weight including a ST51 with tounge muffler is 66ozs.  So, a ST51 or larger is recommended.

Wing - Typical built-up open bay contruction.

Horizontal stab - Built-up, shapped, and sheeted.  Very sturdy.

Tail moment - 18 1/2 inches, same as the Tutor II.

Hardware - Typical ARF standard.

Overall review reveals a C/L ARF that could be competition ready using all components and hardware that are supplied;  however, most will want to install a differnt control system and strengthen the firewall and stab areas.

My planned changes:

Control system - Tom Morris style throughout.

Engine mount - Rip out the firewall and construct a tradtional engine crutch.

Stab area - Glue the stab access covers.

Cowl - Throw away and construct a traditonal nose and cowl.

Covering - I will recover mine; however, the current covering is presentable and usable.

Gear - Wing gear is usable and suitable; however, may mount a fuse gear on mine, not decided yet.

Overall great potential especailly if you plan to kit bash and personalize!!

Pictures available in the downloadable manual on the Top Flite site.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Score Review
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
If you do the same type of job like you did on the TutorII aka  Bear, no one will know it is an ARF!! <=

Can wait to see it.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Walter Hicks

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:52:34 PM »
Recieved my Score today,

Not a .40 ship.... Nice thick wing , 3" bellcrank. Very nicely done glass wheel

pants and cowl, they are light also. Looks like it can be a take apart, horns are

1/8" and appear very usable. Laser cut parts , fuel proofed engine and tank

area. Because of the weight  I will use a Saito .56 or Ro Jett .61  I think even the LA

.46 would be stretching it because this is not a small plane 677 sq  and 66 oz weight.

Call this a .60 sized ARF! I am using this as a test bed for engines and will use

the wing  of my 2nd Score for another YAK 54 ARF project , So there will be a Score

fuse and componets for sale soon all but the wing . 

Looks like it will be fun replacing the 3" bellcrank with a 4" plenty of room inside the

wing but  will have to get creative  at the leadout guide at the tips. A great way for

someopne wanting to make the step up to larger planes with .60 or larger engines.

I have no proplem paying 119.00 for this at all. Good product and would probably

fly very well with the proper power with no mods at all. I think it would get fun in the

3" bellcrank though . 4" bell crank and .60 power . Walter Hicks

Offline John Christensen

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »
Have noticed the offset to the right (outboard side), but mine also has an offset down for the engine.  Am using a Hayes motor mount for a ST. 60. Attached the wing (great fit into the fuse BTW) and stab. Put the incidence meter on the engine, wing and stab. Found the wing and stab to be very close. But the engine had 2-3 degrees of down. Then put a square on the nose against the bottom of the fuse and confirmed the down thrust.

Is this the same on your planes?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »
As no one has responded to this, I also question the down thrust.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »
I did not check the incidence on my Score.  Mine turns the same inside and out.    Hey, if it has downtrust it seems to work.   Some of my other models end up with some down cranked into the elevator { or needs it }.  So maybe a small amount of downthrust is ok

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:55:38 PM »
I was discussing a trim problem on another airplane last week with Bob Whitely.  He suggested adding a little down thrust.  It seems Bob normally uses slight down and right thrust in his airplanes for trim purposes and that most propeller driven full scale airplanes also have a little of each.  Since the Score flys well as is, it might be intentional and a good thing.
Steve

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 02:12:14 PM »
I've just finished a Score, and agree with all the above comments.

However the unbushed metal bellcrank, I feel, might eat through the leadouts in only a few flights resulting in a catastrophic crash.  This in my opinion is totally unacceptable on a "kit" that is intended for competition.

Like you I completely replaced the control system, and consider this mandatory.

The covering on mine was sooooo bad that when I tried to tighten it it pulled away from the edges in a number of places and was still loose...go fugure.
Too bad because the covering finish and design is very good.  Really lousy material.

I used the R/C type mount, but shimmed it with hardwood wedges to remove most of the offset and downthrust.

I substituted an 8oz plastic clunk tank plumbed for uniflo, but did use the standard cowl.  the offset and downthrust is mosded into the cowl so that leaves a slightly larger than normal gap at the spinner backplate.  Oh well!

The installed engine is a PA61 side exhaust and ready to fly weight is 66oz.

I haven't flown it yet because I'm waiting for a headshim set for the PA61 from Randy Smith.  I borrowed the original set to loan to someone...I got it back but subsequently lost it in the shuffle.

It should fly well, and I'm looking forward to doing just that.

However, due to all the items mentioned above I don't think I would reccommend this airplane.

Probably better to just build something like an Impact from a kit, or scratch.
Not much more invested...
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline John Christensen

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »
I had the shims ready to remove the downthrush and sidethrush, but tried it without the shims. Was pleased with how it flys. It turns the same on the outside as the inside loops. It is a fun plane to fly under good conditions. Have not flown it in much wind yet.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here