News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Howard Rush's Artisanal Vortex Generators  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Howard Rush's Artisanal Vortex Generators
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
They are ugly.  They are unnecessarily right- and left-handed, so if you get them mixed up you have to look at them carefully to see which is which, not that it matters, kinda like determining the sex of a gnat.  They did not work in most of the locations I put them on my airplane .  Some locations seem to work, but it may just be my imagination.  If they do work, the effect is subtle.  Don't fall for that "designed by an aeronautical engineer" stuff.  I think he "designed" them by looking out the window of an airliner at the wing.  They are fashionable, though, and all the top fliers have them.  They are made on a 3D printer, and you can't get more fashionable than that these days.  Rush will have them at the Nats, so bring money.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Howard Rush's Artisanal Vortex Generators
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
But they just look like little rectangular tags sticking up.  Not, like, bears or lions or cows or anything interesting.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
Tim, I was envisioning more along the lines of Marylin Monroe embossed on the side of them,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
Tim, I was envisioning more along the lines of Marylin Monroe embossed on the side of them,,,

That would do.  Yes, that would do.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
They are ugly.  They are unnecessarily right- and left-handed, so if you get them mixed up you have to look at them carefully to see which is which, not that it matters, kinda like determining the sex of a gnat.  

I was told the left and right are backwards as labeled on the bags is this true? (it's not referenced looking from the rear of plane as Lt/Rt rather from the front Lt/Rt, so Rt is the inboard wing with LO)  and how do you tell if the VG are actually a Lt or a Rt?    Have to agree it's ugly! especially with 8prs+ on the wing.. maybe if there were color choices would help cosmetically wise.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:28:28 AM by Joe Yau »

steven yampolsky

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
And if you look on the side surfaces with the magnifying glass, it has Howard's profile embossed on them. That's what generates all that "air".  LL~

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »
I was told the left and right are backwards as labeled on the bags is this true? (it's not referenced looking from the rear of plane as Lt/Rt rather from the front Lt/Rt, so Rt is the inboard wing with LO)  and how do you tell if the VG are actually a Lt or a Rt?    Have to agree it's ugly! especially with 8prs+ on the wing.. maybe if there were color choices would help cosmetically wise.  ;

Left and right are described in the poop sheet that came with the VGs if I remembered to include it.  The left and right VGs are shaped, looking down at the base, kinda like left and right shoes, respectfully. 

Color choices are not impossible, but different quantities is about as much choice as I want to offer.  The next batch may be a dirty white if I can persuade the 3D printer folks to get some white "ink".
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
Left and right are described in the poop sheet that came with the VGs if I remembered to include it.  The left and right VGs are shaped, looking down at the base, kinda like left and right shoes, respectfully. 

Color choices are not impossible, but different quantities is about as much choice as I want to offer.  The next batch may be a dirty white if I can persuade the 3D printer folks to get some white "ink".

Hi Howard, I just got 2 bags.. no poop sheet. one is labeled Lt & one with Rt, and it's a bit mixed up, not all is the same in each bag.  I would be interested in 2 more sets in white if they're available.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi Howard, I just got 2 bags.. no poop sheet. one is labeled Lt & one with Rt, and it's a bit mixed up, not all is the same in each bag.  I would be interested in 2 more sets in white if they're available.

Had I seen this in time, I could have sent the goods by courier yesterday.  A flotilla of aircraft came from Vancouver to Salem yesterday bearing props, Coxes, etc.  Here is the poop sh't:
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
Had I seen this in time, I could have sent the goods by courier yesterday.  

Thanks for the poop sheet.. I might of got that in the email.   so, the white VGs are available?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
Thanks for the poop sheet.. I might of got that in the email.   so, the white VGs are available?

No white ones.  First I need to get 250 gray right ones to match the 250 gray left ones I got in the last batch. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
They resemble my father's nose. Which is copyrighted. Cease and desist. Aeronasal vortex generators a definite infringement.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:24:49 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »
Somehow a rational and convincing technical rundown (written for the layman) for Aeronasal vortex generators appeared on the desktop of my Mac. Nice reading. I almost understood the technical explanation. A note to the wise. Howard's powers (how did that doc get there!) are not to be messed with.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
Vortex generators seems to be a "must have" item, although nobody seems to have conclusive evidence of effectivity. Just showing up with a wing full of little "stickin' up" thingies is sure to give the competition the jitters.

I'm tempted to stick some thingies on my wing just to make the competition nervous, and I'm hoping it will affect their square eights in some negative way.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here