News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Planes Plan Protector  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Great Planes Plan Protector
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:34:33 AM »
I recently bought a 25' roll of plastic called Plan Protector by Great Planes.  It is to be taped over your plans to keep them clean and advertised to resist adhesives, so you can build right over it without the problems of Saran Wrap or waxed paper.

Below is the email that I sent to Great Planes:

"I recently bought a roll of your Plan Protector and applied it per the instructions.  The first application of CA adhesive on a butt joint of two pieces of 1/4 X 1/2 left a secure joint stuck fast to the Plan Protector.  I had to cut a section out of the plastic in order to remove the balsa parts which were glued down.

This is contrary to your ads which claim that adhesives won't stick.  Well, they stick and extremely well.  I had to cut the plastic off the wood which left a flaw in the work.  I have bought other Great Planes products and have been very satisfied.  However, I would never recommend Plan Protector be used during CA construction.  Whether other products such as epoxy, white glue or airplane cement would stick is unknown to me and irrelevant.  Today's modelers use a variety of construction adhesives and CA is very popular.  This was a very disappointing purchase."

AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

larry borden

Re: Great Planes Plan Protector
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »
I use the plan protector in all my builds and the CA problem is the only draw back. Other than that, it's great stuff.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
Great Planes plans protector is nothing more then the backing used on Monokote. I've used it for years with no real problems.Then again I'm reasonably careful with my glue and can easily use that same piece to build one or two other models.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
Try parchment paper. (found in the wax paper, aluminum foil section of your local grocery store). Nothing sticks to it, not even CA, at least not my brand. H^^

That solved my problem.  Thanks for the tip!  Still no reply from Great Planes.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here