News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Line World  (Read 3992 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Control Line World
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:11:32 AM »
Have been reading the latest issue of CLW.   One of the lead articles is about our own Pat Johnston.   Then the coverage of the Brodak Fly In if you can call it.  Plus coverage of other contests.  It covers about all there is in control line except maybe speed, but then the Brodak speed events are in there.   Right now John in his editorial says he is losing money on this magazine.   Since Flying Models is no more, CLW is the last of the CL magazines out there.  Yew we have Stunt News, but it is mostly if not entirely about stunt.  I'm not goint to mention Model Aviation as it tries to cover all of modeling.  I notice John has very little outside advertising like some of the magazines do.  He has raised the rate for a subscription to $40.00 for four issues.   Yes that seems high until you see inside the cover all the different articles and lots of pictures.   Each issue has a modelling hero with their history.   I have paid more than $10.00 an issue for a magazine that did not have as much appeal as CLW.   He states that if there is not an increase in subscriptions, the magazine will be no more.   I will be renewing myself.    To me it is one great magazine.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Russ Main

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: Control Line World
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
I totally agree, sent my renewal yesterday!

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
Here is what I plan on doing, since I was a subscriber to FM and CW both:

FM cost $38/year but they are gone now.  CW is now $40 year and is not profitable.  I plan on renewing CW and will send a check for $78, which is what I was paying for both publications before  I know that FM had more issues/year and CW is only quarterly, but still is packed full of CL stuff, more so than FM had.

I don't want to see CW fall off the earth like FM, so I am willing to up the ante to continue having a great CL magazine available.

I am sure that any extra sent with your CW renewal will help to defray the costs.  Please consider it. 
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
I wonder if Brodak has considered reducing costs by reducing the number of glossy, slick paper pages (nearly all of them).  I'm sure we could get the "picture" on less expensive paper.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
Sorry Flloyd, but the only clossy paper in CLW is the cover. The rest is pretty standard bond paper—probably a bit heavier than I run through my printer, but nothing fancy.

BTW, I have issue beginning with the sample issue, October 2006.

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
I will always subscribe to CLW as long as it exists as a sign
of support for John Brodak and all that he has done for our
hobby.

Steve

Offline andy sosa