News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak motor mount system  (Read 917 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak motor mount system
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »
I've been using the Brodak clamp-down motor mounts on several planes for a couple of years, now, and I've come to really like them.  Yes, they're expensive; yes, they're ugly; yes, you have to check them often to make sure they're staying tight - BUT - they save engines!  I've had three encounters with the ground that should have caused engine damage, but they haven't.  It seems that, on impact, the Brodak mounts allow the engine to move, and that absorbs some of the shock.  Today; for example, I was flying an old Twister when the Fox 35 ran out of fuel in the uphill portion of an outside loop (my fault for not picking up on "running out of fuel" signs the engine was giving me).  There was not enough airspeed to take the plane over the top, so it fell on hard-packed soccer field dirt nose first.  The inboard wing that I had repaired from another wreck broke, and the engine was shoved back so far that the prop embedded itself about 3/4" into the inboard doubler.  I was afraid to remove the engine for fear of what I would find, but there was no damage at all.  Thank you, Brodak!!   Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Brodak motor mount system
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »
Glen - I'm in complete agreement.

I still have and fly regularly the very first prototype Brodak ARF, the Cardinal.

It was totalled once and due to it's historic nature, I resurrected it.

It has the original clamp mounts and I have never had a problem.
I've flown it with more than 12 engines, from a SAITO .30 up to an LA .46, all with the same mounts.

Still working fine.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here