News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: American Model Engine Encyclopedia  (Read 941 times)

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
American Model Engine Encyclopedia
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:20:44 PM »
There have been several posts concerning vintage engines.  The American Model Engine Encyclopedia (1911 - 1975) will sure answer a lot of those questions. 
It is priced at $49.95 plus $5.50 postage, which seems like a lot, But...   250 plus pages on slick paper with pictures and descriptions of almost all  American engines of that period.  It does not give any values for the motors, leaving that to the Anderson Blue Book...  Also a valuable resource for the engine collector.   

Tim Dannels is the publisher and is a professional printer plus a serious collector of information about vintage engines.  this book is very well done and a real help in identifying that mystery engine that you have.   

Jim

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: American Model Engine Encyclopedia
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the review.  I'm not a collector so I never had the need for the encyclopedia.  Maybe for christmas.  <=
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: American Model Engine Encyclopedia
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »
 It's worth the cost, I used to think that I knew a little about model engines. Thats about all I know a little. As they say it's a good read.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: American Model Engine Encyclopedia Part Deux
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:56:15 AM »
Well, SWMBO said "Get it if ya want it." so I did.

Took about ten days to get to me as it's sent book rate.  Proved to be very helpful in one of the on line discussions in the stunthanger chat room the other night.  We were discussing Fox .35 stunt engines circa 1949-53.  One fella from Mexico said words to the effect that it was nice talking to an expert on Fox engines.  Until I informed him, he didn't know I was reading info from the manual.  <=

I found one typo/misprint and let Tim Dannels know via email  I didn't find it because I know a lot about engines.  I looked up some info from a discussion here on stunthanger on the Johnson engines.  Engines are listed by year type and size.  It didn't take long to realize that th 29R doesn't really have a .770 X .770 bore and stroke.  <=  Looks more like .3585 to me.

Not withstanding the small error I found I give it a 9.5 out of ten.  I am pleased with the purchase.

The rather expensive purchase is actually all Bill Littles fault.  **)
Him and is damn 1957 Fox 25.

One additional note:  This is a nice publication to have on hand before plunking down good money on ebay for one of the engines covered in the book.  One seller had a Fox .25 for sale, he thought, it was actually a .29 or .36 sport, circa '72.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here