News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NORFOLK AEROMODELERS  (Read 6055 times)

Offline John Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
NORFOLK AEROMODELERS
« on: October 19, 2006, 07:05:38 AM »
The Norfolk Aeromodelers was originally chartered in Norfolk VA with the AMA back around 1946. The club has had several flying sites over the years. The best flying site that I remember was the one we had at the Norfolk Airport with a 150’ X 150’ square asphalt pad, an asphalt donut flying circle and a large glass field to fly combat. We maintained that field from the early 1970’s to the early 1980’s. Due to the local economic growth we are now located at Fentress Auxiliary Landing Field (1988 NATS Site) in Chesapeake VA. Since Norfolk VA is a military town, we have had quite a few flyers come and go during their stint in the military. The club is 60 years old this year (2006).

We usually fly every Sunday at Fentress around 1:00 PM when weather permitting. The club currently has about seven active flyers. We are currently flying Stunt and some sport flying. Our club meetings are very active with from around eight to twenty members showing up. It all depends on what is going on in the control line community. The monthly club meetings are usually held during the last week of the month at the Chesapeake Library located on Volvo Parkway. Our largest meeting is the yearly building contest held during March.

Over the years if it had something to do with control line we probably tried it. I’ve seen as many as 16 people flying in the same circle at one time. As soon the 17th person got in, there would be the big crash.

We have had many talented and colorful members over years. There are too many of them to mention here.

Our website is: http://control-line.tripod.com/index.html .

If any of you were ever a member please add on to the thread with some old memories.

If anyone is ever in the area, please get in touch and we will put a handle in your hand one Sunday.

John Tate

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: NORFOLK AEROMODELERS
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 03:41:18 PM »
You know.......... everyone I have met that is in the Norfolk club has been a pretty good fella!

I wish they could bring back the "Rainmaker" contest! y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:12:52 PM »
Bill.
Willis and I wish there were enough members in our club to run a contest again.
We have a great time at our contests.

John Tate
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:05:00 AM by John Tate »

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:01:17 PM »
I flew with the Norfolk Aeromodelers about 1968 to 1970. We flew at Lake Right jr high school first and then in Broad Creek. I remember flying with Gordon Ingram, Dr Alfried, Walt Williamson, and Mr Ringo. There were others but my memory does not recall everyone. Here is a picture of Mr Ringo's plane - I think it must have been his favorite at the time because I dont remember any other that he flew.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Willis Swindell

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »
Bill
A lot of great modelers have gone through the club over the years and just this week at Huntersville, the Ringo annual best Advanced flyer trophy was given out to the winner of the Advanced event. I remember seeing that plane hanging in Ringo’s garage.
Willis

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 06:54:08 PM »
2007 Advanced winner at  October Huntersville Contest and Winner of Ringo Perpetual Trophy . ....Adrian Dominguez.
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:54:31 PM »
What time and what day of the week do you meet?  I travel to the Tidewater area on business and would like to attend a meeting.  I am new to C/L but have been building and flying R/C since the early '80's.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
The monthly club meeting location has changed to the Chesapeake Library (Russell Memorial) located on Taylor Rd. We try to meet sometime during the last week of the month except December (no meeting). For the meeting dates; you need to call the library at (757) 410-7016 at the reference desk ask when the next Norfolk Aeromodeler meeting is. We have to pick from the few available meetings rooms that are open. So one month we might meet on a Tuesday and the next month is might be on a Thursday. Here is a link to the library: http://www.chesapeake.lib.va.us/RM/rmhome.htm

John Tate

Offline Robert Mathison

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »
This is some of the models that the Norfolk Aeromodelers fly on Sunday.
           Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here