News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:08:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Gyro  (Read 51972 times)

Offline pat king

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
Ringmaster Gyro
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
Want something different for Sport flying, or the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon? This Ringmaster Gyro is different and fun! The laser cut kit is for .25 to .40 engines. The CAD plans show all parts full size. The kits contain control system hardware. The rotor assembly has 700 square inches of swept area. The rotor spans 29 3/16”.  Allan Perret provided valuable design input for the airplane. This is the “big brother” of the great flying Baby Ringmaster Gyro. The airplane in the pictures is powered by an LA25 with a 10 X 4 prop. On 62 foot lines it was flying about 5 second laps. The take-off roll was about ¼ lap. An FP 20 is being considered to slow it down.
The kits sell for $86.30 plus Priority shipping on 3 pounds from 60449. The box will be a triangular mailer, 27” long 6” on a side.
You can pay using PayPal to: patdk@aol.com
Or send a check to:
Pat King
5133 W. Jason Dr.
Monee, IL 60449
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Ringmaster Gyro
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 09:54:49 AM »
Here's my Ringmaster Gyro I built to fly at this years recent 2023 Fly-A-Thon. It's a fun build and a show stopper. I flew it several times and asked the coordinator if because of it's unusualness it would count as two flights for one? He said "rules are rules" LOL.

It has an OS FP 35 on it and yes it would probably fly with a .25. I promised the crowd I'd loop it next year.

BTW, Pat's instructions recommend checking the locking hub before each flight. For security I had filed a flat spot on the tower shaft for the rotor. Even using the thinnest file I could it still resulted in a few thousands movement of the set screw within the flat resulting in some wobble of the rotor during flight setting up a flutter in the tail. Retightening the set screw eliminating the play eliminated the flutter. Think I'll try spot drilling a point for the set screw before next year's event.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here