News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zpoxy Finish  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Zpoxy Finish
« on: September 14, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:00:11 PM by Motorman »

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Zpoxy Finish
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
My experience has been a second coat of epoxy will give a more ding resistant and lighter finish.  I do usually use light weight glass cloth rather than finishing over bare wood though.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
There is a little sticker shock with Klass Kote but it goes a long way, probably less expensive than automotive paints.  I always buy my Klass Kote from Leo at RC Missouri, he'll save you a few bucks.  https://www.rcmissouri.com/klass-kote-paints.html  I use only Satin catalyst with the colors and I mix 1:1:1, color, catalyst, thinner.  I use 2K automotive clears, they will bring the gloss back even with Satin catalyst, don't yellow and will withstand 65% Nitro.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
MM,

What's the engine plan for the Pathfinder? Cox, Norvel, AP...exotic diesel?
Any pics yet?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »
Does the Zpoxy instructions suggest thinning with Acetone? I looked at both bottles and neither said to thin with anything.

I've thinned other epoxy glue with alcohol, but I don't remember what kind of alcohol. I know you'd NOT want to use Isopropyl from the drug or grocery store,  because most of it has some percentage of water included. I think I used alcohol from the hardware store. I don't know if methanol alcohol would be ok or not, but I believe it was for stoves of some sort.  y1

Edit: It was shellac thinner, which makes more sense. Still don't know what sort of alcohol that would be, but don't drink it!
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »
I have used denatured alcohol from Lowe's and 91% Isopropyl from the drug store.  Both work fine in the finishing  application but if you handle what's left in the cup after it hardens, you'll find it rubbery.  Thinning epoxy with alcohol has an adverse effect on its strength and most epoxy manufacturers will back that up.  The best thing is to heat the epoxy to thin it and make it flow, no loss of strength.  Again, when we're talking finishing resins, I doubt you're giving up much.

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 10:00:54 AM »
Weight reducing trick I learned is to - lightly - spray the bare balsa with - cheap - aqua net hairspray before applying zpoxy. Aqua Net is basically lacquer. I have also used very thin dope with excellent results.
Astropuppy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here