Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

ZAP FINISHING RESIN NOT HARDENING

(1/3) > >>

bob whitney:
has anyone had Zap finishing resin not harden about half way through the tubes ..??could it be too old?? was working fine then the next batch turned to rubber???

Avaiojet:
Where and how is it applied?

Smooth, thin over a large area?

Mike Alimov:
I don't use Zap, but I've had EZ-lam go bad after 5-7 years of storage. The best catalyst for epoxy is heat. Try heating up the area with a hair dryer set on High, or a Monokote gun from a sufficient distance (so that hot air doesn't burn hand near surface). If after heating the area for 20-30 minutes your don't feel any improvement, I'm afraid it's game over.

Avaiojet:

--- Quote from: Mike Alimov on April 24, 2021, 03:29:23 PM ---I don't use Zap, but I've had EZ-lam go bad after 5-7 years of storage. The best catalyst for epoxy is heat. Try heating up the area with a hair dryer set on High, or a Monokote gun from a sufficient distance (so that hot air doesn't burn hand near surface). If after heating the area for 20-30 minutes your don't feel any improvement, I'm afraid it's game over.

--- End quote ---

Heat makes Epoxy liquid again.

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: bob whitney on April 24, 2021, 01:54:48 PM ---has anyone had Zap finishing resin not harden about half way through the tubes ..??could it be too old?? was working fine then the next batch turned to rubber???

--- End quote ---

Epoxy or polyester?  "Finishing Resin" is normally polyester.  If it is epoxy, then, that is unusual and many a bad proportions or mixing. Polyester, however, is notorious for that sort of thing, and it hats any sort of surface contamination.

Brett

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version