News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ZAP FINISHING RESIN NOT HARDENING  (Read 2082 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ZAP FINISHING RESIN NOT HARDENING
« on: April 24, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »
has anyone had Zap finishing resin not harden about half way through the tubes ..??could it be too old?? was working fine then the next batch turned to rubber???
rad racer

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: ZAP FINISHING RESIN NOT HARDENING
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
Where and how is it applied?

Smooth, thin over a large area?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »
I don't use Zap, but I've had EZ-lam go bad after 5-7 years of storage. The best catalyst for epoxy is heat. Try heating up the area with a hair dryer set on High, or a Monokote gun from a sufficient distance (so that hot air doesn't burn hand near surface). If after heating the area for 20-30 minutes your don't feel any improvement, I'm afraid it's game over.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 03:39:53 PM »
I don't use Zap, but I've had EZ-lam go bad after 5-7 years of storage. The best catalyst for epoxy is heat. Try heating up the area with a hair dryer set on High, or a Monokote gun from a sufficient distance (so that hot air doesn't burn hand near surface). If after heating the area for 20-30 minutes your don't feel any improvement, I'm afraid it's game over.

Heat makes Epoxy liquid again.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »
has anyone had Zap finishing resin not harden about half way through the tubes ..??could it be too old?? was working fine then the next batch turned to rubber???

Epoxy or polyester?  "Finishing Resin" is normally polyester.  If it is epoxy, then, that is unusual and many a bad proportions or mixing. Polyester, however, is notorious for that sort of thing, and it hats any sort of surface contamination.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 06:02:50 PM »
I use Zap Zpoxy finishing resin and haven't had that problem. Do you weigh the portions, did you accidentally mix it with your 30 minute epoxy? I think the instructions say too much hardener will turn it to rubber.

Too much of either will have about the same effect, if it is epoxy - when mixed properly (most thin surfacing epoxy is 2:1 or 4:1) there are just enough reactants to react with the other part, and that will maximize the hardness and strength. Anything else, either direction, and you leave unreacted fractions of the one you had too much of, and it just softens it up.

Finishing resin (polyester) is typically a few drops or dabs of hardener for a large amount of other part, and you can control the rate at which it sets, more hardener, the faster - and hotter - it gets.

Brett

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »
been eye balling it for ever unless i am mixing a large batch (zap Epoxy)  .mixed 2 batch's 15 cc each 50/50 mix. left it in the cups and neither hardened,2 days now  i had a qt can of my prop resin that had a green color when i got it and should have been blue,it would not harden. they replaced the qt can  for me and the new blue hardener worked fine
rad racer

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 08:07:45 PM »
been eye balling it for ever unless i am mixing a large batch (zap Epoxy)  .mixed 2 batch's 15 cc each 50/50 mix. left it in the cups and neither hardened,2 days now 

Sounds like the hardener went over the hill. I think the type or hardener used for surfacing is more-or-less the same stuff as regular 1:1 mix, just without the filler* to get the mix even. But it seems to me much more aggressive/reactive, and I have had it destroy the bottle it came in, apparently, working on the unreacted components in the polypropylene bottle, making it brittle to the point it shattered when I picked it up.

Sorry to hear this, it is a *real mess* to try to get off. I would try moderate heat for a long time, essentially, accelerated aging.

Brett

*p.s. one of our composites guys at work told me that for consumer epoxy, they put inert fillers into the hardener to buffer it, and to make it come out 1:1 for easy mixing - and that one of the common fillers is *castor oil*. That's why most of it is a little flexible/gummy and hard to sand. Most of the "customer-mixed" industrial stuff they use is more like 16:1 or something like that. But most of what we use in our aerospace application is premixed at the factory - mixed carefully under controlled conditions, then frozen to keep it from curing. To use it you thaw it out, apply, then it just cures like a one-part glue.

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »
 I worked for a race car chassis builder as a fabricator for 8 years. One of my jobs was to make flat carbon fiber sheets for building race car interiors. This was done using vinyl ester resin and MEK as the hardener. These sheets were about .030 thick and were 5'x10'. Yes, that's feet! Used a sheet of 1/4" 5'x10' glass for the "mold". Because of the size, didn't have much time to lay up. Anyway, the resin mix was 3/8 oz. of MEK to 1 quart of resin, which would give about 25 or 30 min. working time and each sheet took about 4 quarts total. One time the weather here was cooler than usual, and this sheet was not getting tacky on the back like it usually did after 30 minutes. Because the table the glass was on, had  wheels to move it around, we pushed the table out into the sun to speed up the cure rate. Bad, really bad, it cured alright, and cracked the $400.00 sheet of glass, and the carbon sheet was stuck to the broken glass for good. So, we were out the glass, and the $1,000.00 sheet of carbon. Come to find out the supplier shipped us MEK that was a higher percentage than the usual stuff had. We never did find  the reason the sheet wasn't curing at first, though, but did find that little extra heat from the sun attacked the 4 coats of mold release wax on the glass. I don't remember what the percentage difference was, but it wasn't much. Any fiberglass resin, whether vinyl ester or epoxy based, is extremely sensitive to mix ratios. I don't see how,  with small mixes like 4 or 6 ounces of resin could a person accurately measure the MEK needed.
I do remember that the MEK, when we would get close to the bottom of the gallon, the cure time was longer, but we always used the same ratios. I guess the MEK got weaker from age.
I would be real careful in glassing a plane, I would use only new, unopened resin and hardener. I saw a lot of weird things happen in fiberglass work.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 10:39:37 AM »
MEK is a solvent.
Pretty sure you were using MEKP, which is the catalyst used in polyester/vinyl-ester resins.

Very different reactions going on in catalyzed curing(polyester) versus stoichiometric (epoxy)

MEKP is pretty dangerous if you get it in your eye, much more than most other things we mess around with.
MAAC 8177

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
I worked for a race car chassis builder as a fabricator for 8 years. One of my jobs was to make flat carbon fiber sheets for building race car interiors. This was done using vinyl ester resin and MEK as the hardener.

I think it is MEK peroxide, not just MEK, but, yes, that is what can happen. Mix it a little "hot" in a cup, and is can boil furiously from self-generated heat, melt the cup, spill everywhere, and then glue itself to everything around.

BTW, that stuff is *dangerous* - MEK peroxide is maybe the most genuinely dangerous chemical that you are likely to come in contact with doing modeling. The old dropper-bottle where it is just the straight thin liquid can splash, and if you get it in your eye, that eye is blind *immediately*. I am not a nervous type when it comes to chemicals (since we are expose to them so little) but even I take precautions using it. The "cream" type now supplied with Bondo is a lot safer just because it doesn't splash or run so easily.

Brett

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 10:37:32 PM »
Brett sent u a PM
rad racer

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 08:08:16 AM »
I'm confussd.  ZAP finishing range comes in two identical plastic bottles.  1 to 1 mix by weight or volumn.  I've never seen it in tubes. One part is dark amber and the other is clear.  Are you sure you've got the right product.  It seems to have a fair shelf life, like 2-3 years if stored out of sunlight and in a moderate temperature range.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
yes plastic bottles ..talked to the ZAP REP at Top Gun Saturday.very knowledgeable about the product .he says there is about a 20% allowable diff in mixing ,showed me where to look for date of use code ,said first letter needs to beat least N for 2021(mine was).he gave me some more F/R to replace what i had ,went home and mixed a batch with no problem so i am chalking it up to a bad break at a bad time RAD
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here