Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

ZAP FINISHING RESIN NOT HARDENING

<< < (3/3)

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Jerry Rauch on April 25, 2021, 08:17:43 AM --- I worked for a race car chassis builder as a fabricator for 8 years. One of my jobs was to make flat carbon fiber sheets for building race car interiors. This was done using vinyl ester resin and MEK as the hardener.

--- End quote ---

I think it is MEK peroxide, not just MEK, but, yes, that is what can happen. Mix it a little "hot" in a cup, and is can boil furiously from self-generated heat, melt the cup, spill everywhere, and then glue itself to everything around.

BTW, that stuff is *dangerous* - MEK peroxide is maybe the most genuinely dangerous chemical that you are likely to come in contact with doing modeling. The old dropper-bottle where it is just the straight thin liquid can splash, and if you get it in your eye, that eye is blind *immediately*. I am not a nervous type when it comes to chemicals (since we are expose to them so little) but even I take precautions using it. The "cream" type now supplied with Bondo is a lot safer just because it doesn't splash or run so easily.

Brett

bob whitney:
Brett sent u a PM

Alan Resinger:
I'm confussd.  ZAP finishing range comes in two identical plastic bottles.  1 to 1 mix by weight or volumn.  I've never seen it in tubes. One part is dark amber and the other is clear.  Are you sure you've got the right product.  It seems to have a fair shelf life, like 2-3 years if stored out of sunlight and in a moderate temperature range.

bob whitney:
yes plastic bottles ..talked to the ZAP REP at Top Gun Saturday.very knowledgeable about the product .he says there is about a 20% allowable diff in mixing ,showed me where to look for date of use code ,said first letter needs to beat least N for 2021(mine was).he gave me some more F/R to replace what i had ,went home and mixed a batch with no problem so i am chalking it up to a bad break at a bad time RAD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version