Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Z Poxy question...

(1/3) > >>

wwwarbird:
 I've never glassed a model before, or even messed with it. I've been thinking about it lately though. I've known of Z Poxy forever it seems but have always chickened out because I've always assumed that it would be very hard to sand after curing, like epoxy. Is this the case, or does it sand easily? By easily I mean can you sand it smooth quickly with like 220 grit or thereabouts? D>K

Mark Scarborough:
finishing epoxy ( I assume the Zpoxy you are talking about is finishing epoxy?) sands decent, not quite like primer but it sands pretty well. do yourself a favor and cover a scrap piece of balsa just like you plan to finish your plane. It does take some getting used to when applying. It is EASY to build up weight with epoxy so heed that. There are several threads I think that deal with epoxy, one trick is to blot the surface when you have it all adhered to remove the excess resin.

Jimmy R. Jacobs:
  Yes Zpoxy finishing resin sands out very easy. Can be sanded to a real nice finish like glass if that is what you wont.

Jimmy

Dave Holtsclaw:
Ive had great luck with Z Poxy. It does take a little work with the sanding. I use the credit card method to minimize the weight. Lay the cloth down, dribble on the Z Poxy and spread it with a credit card. Remove all excess epoxy.

wwwarbird:
 Yeah, I'm sure you really have to watch the weight with it. I would surely be using a credit card or something to squeegee. How long is it workable and how long to fully cure?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what happens if you just put it right on the wood with no cloth? What I mean by that is simply using it as a sealer instead of the dope and silkspan process. That's more what I was thinking of. Maybe that's a no-no?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version