News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yup, That's black paint on the SKYFALL 007.  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Yup, That's black paint on the SKYFALL 007.
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »
Thought I'd attempt to fire up some interest in the painting of the SKYFALL 007, with a new Thread.  

Long threads that go left and right, up and down, and sideways, interest gets lost.  Z@@ZZZ   Well if there is interest.  ???

Here's the Flite Streak, sporting a RRC, (Rusty Rattle Can,) finish.

Krylon in this case. Here's some of the steps. Paint goes everywhere even where you don't want it.   n~

Black as the ace of spades. Till I remove the tape.  ;D

Rusty Dusty Rattle Can, take a look!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:56:02 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Yup, That's black paint on the SKYFALL 007.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:24:21 PM »
to be honest, I think you killed it with the back.

the tail looks great, although super "busy" 

I would have kept the from in the same colours, with not solid blocking - however - will be interesting to see the result

nice to see some paint on   
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Wynn,

What a surprise!

Thank you for the reply and the kind words.

Don't let that black fool you. I have tricks up my sleeves.  ;D

I am following a recommendation from Phil, who suggested I paint the TE area black and carry the black onto the fuselage. As per George's original Flite Streak scheme but with a different arrangement of color. The center area of the wing will be white. I'm undecided as far as the color of the LE area, but that area will have the look of the original FS also. Great scheme on the Flite Streak. Difficult to improve, but can be enhanced a bit. That's my goal..

There will be stuff at the nose to brake it up, engine, tank, gear with one wheel plus a aluminum spinner. I have a small three blade spinner, make the nose more interesting.

Unfortunately I won't be pulling any tape. Painting the wings requires the masking of the fuselage and all of the tail feathers.

I'll leave the masking that's already on there and just cover the black.

The wings are next.

That's where I'll do some magic tricks. I hope they work.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
That rattle can paint sure seems to lie down nice.  Hurry, hurry, many are waiting for the mask to come off. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
That rattle can paint sure seems to lie down nice.  Hurry, hurry, many are waiting for the mask to come off. H^^

Glenn,

"Many?" That's funny.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
A few fixes before I tackle the paint detail on the wing. Probably over fussy.

You can see a bit of the canopy.

I had a couple of Skynight pattern ships and this canopy look was taken from that model, canopy design was similar.

Skynights. Really nice looking models but they didn't fly well.  Probably why I was attracted to them.  ;D

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
I wonder what's beneath that masking.... ;D 8)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »
So has your mind gone so bad that you now have to label your repairs to remember them?  LL~ LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
So has your mind gone so bad that you now have to label your repairs to remember them?  LL~ LL~ H^^

I just wanted to say what the repair material was.  ;D

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
Scratched the SKYFALL 007 up with 600 and gave the wings another thin coat of Krylon satin white. Thin coat. I will do a masking tape test. I always do.

Simple paper pattern for laying out color separations on the wing.

Triditional Aldrich Flite Streak scheme, except I'll have black in the rear, as suggested by Phil, and white in the center.

Undecided for the LE area. I'll use a color I have.

Try to get the wings painted tomorrow.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
A little more fooling around.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
OK, Charles, I don't want you to rush and mess up something, but that model should have a half dozen flights on it already! LL~  LL~  VD~  S?P  H^^

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
OK, Charles, I don't want you to rush and mess up something, but that model should have a half dozen flights on it already! LL~  LL~  VD~  S?P  H^^

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Big Bear!

What a surprise and thanks for the reply.

Gotta remember, I'm busy with three models, some with time consuming changes, all for the better.

That RRC paint takes a while to get hard, so the paint work will take a tad longer.

Verdict isn't yet with RRC, but I have a few things left to do. Da, and some repairs. Good thing I know tricks.

Bill, don't be a stranger.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
Here's an update on the SKYFALL 007.  #^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
Continuing with this RRC, Rusty Rattle Can, venture on the Skyfall 007.

Hit the model with black today and will hit it with black again in a few days. Gotta let the first black harden well before I mask over it. I masked the gold to quickly and this left a short tape line in one area. I had to re-shoot that small area because it was on the top. Just my luck.

Thing I don't like is the lack of air pressuer to help the paint lay. Plus RRC's sprays a bit thicker than I would like, leaving a really noticable tape edge. Can't change the viscosity.

Auto clear will hide a bit of the edge.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
Detailing the Skyfall 007 continues with the painting of the weight box lid. Brodak issue.

Lid has a coat of sealer, a few coats of clear, primer and what you see is Krylon satin white.

This will be ready to mask and paint shortly.

I believe the GA original FS scheme splits this lid.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
I would have thought a balsa doubler on the box lid would be used so the lid can be fared in fully.

Phil

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »
Hey, Charles, one of our rattlecan guys on another forum puts his planes in the car on hot days to quick cure the paint. But then he lives in the Desert Southwest part of our country. Cracking the windows a bit seems like a good idea. I haven't tried it, but if I was getting as fancy as you are with the SkyFall, I'd be mighty impatient by now. Taking up too much flying time.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:59 AM »
I would have thought a balsa doubler on the box lid would be used so the lid can be fared in fully.

Phil

Phil,

How can you tell that's not a balsa lid? Amazing.  ;D

It is plywood and will hold a wire skid to help keep the wing tip off the ground.

It is sanded to the shape of the airfoil.

Hey, Charles, one of our rattlecan guys on another forum puts his planes in the car on hot days to quick cure the paint. But then he lives in the Desert Southwest part of our country. Cracking the windows a bit seems like a good idea. I haven't tried it, but if I was getting as fancy as you are with the SkyFall, I'd be mighty impatient by now. Taking up too much flying time.
Rusty

Rusty,

Sounds like an interesting guy. What does he do to fuel proof RRC's?

You know I would rather build than fly, so I don't mind the time I spend finishing a model.

Re-designing and building the same one twice either.  n~

I just painted the last area on the Skyfall 007 black. I'll peel the masking later in the day. No paint should come off with the masking, I hope.

I did mention, a tad thicker on the paint edge between colors with RRC paint.

Something you have to live with. See how the clear deals with that.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 06:54:17 AM »
I thought this was an interesting paint and finish Thread and I never did get around to finishing the thread?

I don't know why that is?

I'll look to see if I have more photos of the paint work. I'll post them if I can find them, otherwise, I'll post just the finished model.

Well, I just looked and the model is finished except for the clear coat. No point in posting photos of removing masking paper.

I gotta get this model in the air. I'll see if there's anyone at our field that can do a short video.

I'm really delighted with the way this model came out using just aerosol cans.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here