News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ya ya ya Paint on monokote  (Read 1206 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ya ya ya Paint on monokote
« on: December 30, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
I know you can paint over plastic iron on covering, but have found nothing on whether  masking tape on top of the base color will pull up the paint.
To clarify:   You paint the film one color then mask it off to paint the trim color. Who has done this and how did it work out? Was the bond between the scuffed monokote and paint strong enough to resist lifting off when the tape was removed?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ya ya ya Paint on monokote
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »
I haven't tried it, but paint is heavy -- I strongly suggest that you use the 'coat as your base color, and be sparing with the trim.

Safest is to use non-overlapping trim.  Second safest is to make a test patch -- I think you'll be safe, but as I said, it's not something I've tried.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 08:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tim. On this Winder, I would like to have a translucent blue monokote over the open bays only, and all the wood surfaces painted white, with red and yellow flames over the wings. Then top coat the whole thing in 2k urethane. Something new.
Kind Regards,
Kevin

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 08:51:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply Tim. On this Winder, I would like to have a translucent blue monokote over the open bays only, and all the wood surfaces painted white, with red and yellow flames over the wings. Then top coat the whole thing in 2k urethane. Something new.
Kind Regards,
Kevin

Before you apply the Monokote, scratch it up with an auto scuff pad in all directions "4" on a flat surface.

This should give a good bite for your color and trim.

No "dry" paint. Clear coat will hide all scratches. Should. ;D

No guarantees.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »
It’s very common in some parts of the world. People use either Mylar film or stuff like Oracover (better than Monocote).
Just de-grease well, sand lightly with #1500…2000 paper or Scotchbrite and use good quality 2-component paints, acrylic, epoxy or polyurethane.
I’d say it’s a better way to go than any paper or silk. L

AFAIK the US and maybe Canada are the only parts of the world that award appearance points.  It'd be interesting to see what sort of appearance score you could get.

I'm not one of those crusty old codgers who's going to bump your score down because I know you used 'coat.  But if I see obvious seams in your covering material that aren't worked into the overall finish scheme really well, they'll get downgraded, whether you're using dope over 'span or 2-part over 'coat.  For that matter, if I see that lack of perfect smoothness at the intersection of rib and sheeting that's almost inevitable on a 'span & dope finish it'll show up in your grade, too -- whether you're using dope over 'span or 2-part over 'coat.

I'm just a regional competitor and judge, but when I'm doing appearance judging if you're going to get more than 16 or 17 points then my eyeballs are going to be less than a foot away from your plane, and I'll be looking at everything.

So, yes, bring it on!  Can you do a 20 point finish with 'coat?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 10:54:50 AM »

It'd be interesting to see what sort of appearance score you could get.

I have done the appearance judging at least 6 times at the Nats.  I have carefully examined Lauri's models at least 3 different World Championships.  I was not aware that any of them were finished with films.  Given what I saw with his models and I was judging one of his models at our Nats, his would be in the 19 or 20 point rows.

That is for the way his models were finished and trimmed.  It would have nothing to do with the exemplary machine work on his original engines.

Keith

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »
Kevin Happy New Year. I just did a model covered with Ultrakote and scratched with 000 Steel Wool and painted with Basecoat, Clearcoat Auto paint.
You might try spraying a very light coat of clear over the area that you have to tape.? I usually do not mask over the Basecoat. If you are careful with your covering skills and fill the seams with primer you can get a nice looking finish . I coat the whole plane with 2 part Auto Clear ( thinned a lot and light coat .

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 03:25:00 AM »
Kevin Happy New Year. I just did a model covered with Ultrakote and scratched with 000 Steel Wool and painted with Basecoat, Clearcoat Auto paint.
You might try spraying a very light coat of clear over the area that you have to tape.? I usually do not mask over the Basecoat. If you are careful with your covering skills and fill the seams with primer you can get a nice looking finish . I coat the whole plane with 2 part Auto Clear ( thinned a lot and light coat .
Walter, thanks for the reply. Whats the name of the 2k clear you are using?
Happy new year!
Kevin

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 03:26:42 AM »
Before you lay your trim tape down touch it on your shirt to make it less sticky.

Motorman 8)
Thanks Motorman, and happy new year!

Kevin

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 03:30:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it!
Have a great 2022 everyone!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 08:33:49 AM »
Happy New Year!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »
Kevin: I have used Omni MC 270 Production Clear with Omni MC 270 Hardener for years, with good results. Now using Valspar AC 200MS  Clear Coat with Valspar HPc1 Hardener .
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:25:30 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »
Kevin: I have used Omni MC 270 Production Clear with Omni MC 270 Hardener for years, with good results. Now suing Valspar AC 200MS  Clear Coat with Valspar HPc1 Hardener .
Thanks Walter.👍

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here