Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Which 2K Clear?

(1/4) > >>

bill bischoff:
I am considering using 2K aerosol clear on my next airplane. I would otherwise use KlassKote for durability, but their clear isn't 100% clear. Is 2K clear really CLEAR? The brands I see mentioned most are Eastwood and Spraymax. Is there any difference in these brands?

The finish violates all the laws of not mixing brands, but up through the color coats all seems to be well. It's fiberglass cloth and Z-poxy finishing resin (no open bays), primed with Harbor Freight's Iron Armor grey aerosol primer, painted with Dupli-Color Perfect Match aerosol acrylic lacquer. The primer was allowed to dry for more than a week before sanding as a hedge against continued shrinkage later, and the color has been drying/gassing off for about two weeks.

Comments are invited/requested.

Dave Hull:
Bill,

Not a good idea! When the 2K topcoat hits the fiberglass with balsa core it will bud and cause wind turbine blades to grow there. If you don’t catch this before it is too late, you will have a 90 foot turbine blade wedged inside the house, and no way to get it out….

The Divot

bill bischoff:
Dave, one of us doesn't know what you are talking about.  ??? n~

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: bill bischoff on February 29, 2024, 07:28:36 PM ---Dave, one of us doesn't know what you are talking about.

--- End quote ---

Don’t say we didn’t warn you.

bill bischoff:
Anybody have anything helpful to say?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version