News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:04:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What brand is this spray gun?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What brand is this spray gun?
« on: July 13, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
Spray gun, air brush -- whatever.  I was given two.

What brand, and are there jars available to fit the pickup tubes?  The medium-length pickup I have doesn't match the medium-length jelly jar in my collection.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Constantine

• Ensign
  • C/L Retread
Re: What brand is this spray gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »
That is a Miller spray gun.  Some where I have a kit that came with a very small compressor and simple guns in three sizes.  I haven't used it in 40 years.  Results were definitely marginal.
Fred
Fred Constantine
Calistoga, CA   AMA 6798

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
That is a Miller spray gun.  Some where I have a kit that came with a very small compressor and simple guns in three sizes.  I haven't used it in 40 years.  Results were definitely marginal.

You aren't wrong, but, one of my high school buddies painted and entire Fiat 128 with one of these. It came out pretty well, considering, except for one spot on one fender where is dad decided it wasn't important to actually stir the paint and thinner, just pour it in there and it would somehow mix itself. Poor compressor was spinning it's little guts out for about 2-3 hours continuously. It seemed like it was going to fly apart at any second, but it kept going and going.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
   When it comes to using any kind of tool, how well it works depends a lot on "The Nut On The Handle!"  You may be familiar with Big Daddy Ed Roth of custom hot rod fame? He got his start painting cars with his Mom's Kirby vacuum set up!. If you are ever in the St. Louis area, stop in Mark Twain Hobby in St.Charles and check out the Fock-Wolfe D-9 hanging in the shop. it was painted with the cheapest Badger single action spray gun available at the time, which cost 5 bucks then, I think. So if it works, and you like it, keep calm and carry on!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
So where do I get jars for it?  Or do I need to modify the pick-up tubes?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »
Lee Valley still sells something very similar.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Fred Constantine

• Ensign
  • C/L Retread
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 07:08:38 PM »
This thread has piqued my curiosity.  I found my old Miller spray kit in the storage shed.  Here is a photo of the three guns.  As I recall the smallest was the most useful, and the middle size had trouble drawing paint up the 5 inch siphon tube. The large gun looked unused.  Apparently, mayonnaise jars fit on the middle size gun.  At least they did 40 years ago (see second photo).

Fred
Fred Constantine
Calistoga, CA   AMA 6798

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
I think Fred just hit the nail on the head. And provided me with an epiphany. All my paint jobs look just like I had sprayed mayonnaise over the primer coats! Now I know why....

Divot McSlow
"A Binks touch-up gun man"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
Well, it works good.  I gave up on finding a "proper" jar for it and just extended the medium-length tube to fit a jelly jar that I had.  I am pleased.

AMA 64232

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »
Awesome, Tim!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here