News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well, it's a lot of colors  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Well, it's a lot of colors
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
I thought I'd move this over here since it really about finishing now instead of building. The new plane is coming along. I decided to just ride with the last trim color. Kind of an interesting, if unlooked for effect. Weird side effect is, this plane will have no less than 8 colors when done. I'm not shooting that many on, but with the undercoats it creates additional colors. Again, weird effect. Not sure I'd do it again, but it will be different.

Top pic is the the thing so far. Metallic silver, bronze and steel with (so far) candy red over the bronze and part of the silver. Sort of makes the bronze a kinda of orange and the silver red (or maybe pink). Blue will go over the steel and part of the silver then some black accents. Canopy is just blue. Wish the gun wouldn't have screwed up so it would be transparent. Sigh. Can't have everything, I guess. the bottom is of the pieces. Not sure why I put that in except to show that it has a lot of pieces.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Well, it's a lot of colors
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »
Randy!!!!
GREAT SEEING THESE PHOTOS THIS MORN!!!!

NO ROSE THROWIN..."JUST THE TRUFFFFFFF!" This new model of yours...blows my demented and toasted creative brain cells....into A BRAIN FREEEEEEEEEZE!

Without question...that new paint scheme is soooo beautifully rendered....with the most unique star trim n paint pattern that is soooooooooo artistcally tasteeeee-0'MY GOOD-GADLY RENDERED UNTO US!
Also equally attractive always...is the way to design and build those details that set your models apart from the rest.  Starting at the front end...the cowling detail sculpting (check out that exhaust vent and  equally appointed wheel fairings!!!
(Hey gang...check out that beautiful cockpit style and profile? WOW!

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE BOB HUNT'S EYE BALL'S POPPIN' WHEN HE SEE'S THAT BEAUTIFUL COPPER-FADE TO GOLD TRIM PAINT JOB!
As you know, Randy......I AM A LONG TIME SUKKA' for metallic "FADE" paint scheme over a basic white canvas paint job, when it comes to control line stunters.
To me...NUTTIN looks more beautiful when a model with this kind of paint...sits under stage lighting either inside or outside on a bright sunny day with a DARK ROYAL BLUE SKY BACKGROUND like yesterday morning at the  Skyraider Gig Harbor Narrows airport flying site.

CONGRATULATIONS RANDALL-DANDEL'and may the SUN GOD OF STUNT TAKE A LIKING (not a lickin') to you...as you boldly go forth with the airbrush n' final paint works!!!

(bye the way...that SLIDIN-SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDER looked sooo awesome in flight yesterday.....even though you still gotta shorten that pipe and put back that tad bit of extra tip weight.)   LL~ ~^
That BOUNCE from the weird n' wacky wind off those hot hanger roofs to the north of us...comin out of the NE in bubbles-bangles and beads of sweat...didn't help matta's much either.
I was AMAZED that so many of the flyers yesterday...handled that kind of torn up air with such style and profile with TOTAL BOLDNESS??? #^

attached photo detail...WOW! RANDY! B-U-TEEE-FULLLLLLLLLLL!
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »
Randy, not sure I would do anything to it, I dig it just the way it is, really classy subtle colors,, although, yeah well I know you got the candy on it,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:55:22 PM »
Mark and Shultzie,

Thanks (someone slip Shultzie a Valium).

I used some Avery clear print vinyl to cut out the stars. man, that is tedious work. but it doesn't look too bad. the primary trim came out a sort of orange metallic and reddish pink. Actually looks pretty cool. The other candy color is Cobalt Blue. Should (and emphasis on the should) come out a clear blue over the silver and more purple over the steel color. Guess we'll see. then just some back accents. I have a couple of spots that need camouflage, so the the black accents may be more numerous that at first planed.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
Gawd, Randy!!!  H^^ That is so KEWL, I'll give you 22 appearance points...unless you screw it up between now & then.  LL~  The beauty of this thing, is that you should be able to get some sponsorship dollars from Carl's Jr. Burger Corp. Well, maybe not if they're heavily into WAMU or AIG stock.  VD~ Steve

PS: Whadaya call that ridge thing down the side of the fugalug? "Strake"? Or is that just an extra long flap fairing?
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Gee Steve, thanks. I think.

Hard telling what it is. It showed up between building sessions. I think Shultzie is sneaking into my shop and night.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
I've looked at it, and turned my head sideways, and looked again, tried a third time with my tongue stuck in my cheek, and I can't come to terms with the belly piece on the left end.  Of course, never having dealt with ducting for any piped engine makes visualizing what I'm looking at more difficult . .

P.S.  OMG, but it's going to be an eye-pleaser, isn't it!

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
Wow Randy! Looks totally awesome. Busy without being gaudy. I love it!

I'm already trying to think of a way to top it. ;)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:32:25 PM »
JOE,

The belly scoop was an after thought not on the plans. Like a lot of things, I mis-judged the depth of the pipe. The bottom block interfered with the from part of the pipe. It was either cut a slot and build a scoop or order a shallower header. But then it wouldn't clear the tank ... you get the idea. It looks interesting anyway.

ty,

Nothing's too pretty to fly. We'll see what it looks like when it's done.

Clint,

I've decided that candy colors are are cool. They change color with different undercoats. Who'd a thunk it?

I hope to have the next trim color on in the next couple of days. The black won't take too long. Then it's ink and clear. I'm still debating on decals or vinyl masks for the name and such. I'm thinking of vinyl masks and using an interference pearl for the lettering.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 06:15:09 AM »
Randy - You gotta be kidding me man... thanks for the kind comments in my Starfire thread, but my new bird looks like the clown car that everyone piles out of at the circus compared to your new bird. THAT LOOKS AMAZING!

What I do find a little humorous is that we both used stars in our trim schemes in the exact same places almost, on the wing stab and cowl, yet came up with very very different resulting looks, with your streached out stars perspective being more artistic than my chincy uniform stars. I wanted to do stars with flames trailing them (get it, Star-Fire?), but couldn't figure out how to get the masks cut. Where I gave up, you persisted.

Your use of multiple shades of similar colors compared to my day-glow scheme are about as different as night and day. Yours comes off much more sophisticated not to mention your finish is obviously better leveled and you know how to use a spray gun and mix clear. If you ever get to a Nats, I have a feeling you'll be up there next to the likes of Windy & PTG.

Great job buddy!
EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:48:02 AM »
Hi Eric,

Well, I suppose the builder is always the most critical. The thing has a hundred flaws and I, of course, know where every one of them is. So far, this is probably coming out better with less going back to fix stuff than most planes I've built. I'm glad you like it, but it's just another approach. Yours is bold, and this one is subtle. Yours stands out and looks very slick, this plane is more a white tie and tails sort of thing.. Truth is, I can't decide if I really like it. I usually go for the approach you used more than this sort of thing. Just wanted to try something different. I did learn that getting paint to stick to metallic silver is a pain.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
Randy,
the key to that is more clear in the metallic,, or a coat of clear over the silver. In my experience, what ends up happening is that there is a bit more texture in the metallics, and things dont like it well. I know that when mixing silvers and metallics for auto use, there is a HUGE amount of clear binder in most colors say on the range of 85 % clear binder to 15 % metallic and color. THis compares to most colors, that will have less than 40%  clear binder to 60 % pigments.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
Mark,

he, he. When I got the paint can from the auto paint guys (toners without binder), it was, in fact, about 15%-18% full. I filled the can with clear dope (Randolphs). Still had to cut it about 6 to 1, thinner to paint to get it to shoot. The bronze metallic and steel metallic seems to adhere fine. It's just the silver. Sigh... I had the same problem when I shot the Cobra, but I attributed it to the very high humidity when I was painting that one. Guess not.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »
Randy, I think you were on the right track, of course taking a step closer to real world here, the laquer has a solids content of perhaps 12%? whereas the Urethane binders you are replacing are more along the lines of 50 to 60 percent. That being said, perhaps something on the order of three times the clear would put you at the right mix concentration.,, (ok maybe that is a bit radical but you get the point right?) That would get you closer to the solids level which as you and I have spoken about is what really matters in the end since thats what stays on the airframe. Isnt this painting stuff a blast,, always something to learn, always something to think about, always some new and creative way to have things go gunny-bags. I still love the layout, your designs totally rock!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I certainly seem to be able to fine all the ways something won't work. I occasionally stumble over an acorn, bu tmost of the time it seems to be a lump of rock. Sigh...

It should look OK in the end. Not really what I envisioned, but OK.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »
Randy, Ya finally done it. You're way over the edge with this one. Great job.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:52 PM »
Randy:
Obviously looking really good.  I really was surprised by your color choices.  I kinda guessed you might be going one way but then you went somewhere totallly unexpected.

....and making me totally rethink the one I have on the board, the one I cannot get over the "hump".

But you have certainly raised the bar - again!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »
Denny,

The word you're looking for is subtle.   ;D

Like I say, not what I envisioned, but it's interesting, anyway.

I'm off to the shop to tape. Oh Joy!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
You think Shultzie needs a Valium! This plane has me Rocked!! Randy, I been around a long time, and I have seen some serious sh%^, but man, this is off the hook. I can't help thinking, just what more you got in you. If I was living in close proximity to you, brother, we would be hooking up for some serious building videos.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
Thanks, Pro. It's kinda weird. I wanted to do something a bit different from my usual effort. Well, it's different. Enough that I spent a lot of time trying to decide if I liked it. I just shot on the second to last trim color and it looks even more interesting. When I get the last color shot on this weekend, I'll shoot a pic before I start inking (not much of that) and post it here.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
Get right on that, wouldja, Randy?!!!  ~> Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »
Steve,

Yes, Sahib.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
It's more colors now. I am refraining from posting a picture yet because, like a lot of things, there's a bunch of clean up and fixing to do. I ran into some problems when I started pealing tape and now I've had to repair a bunch of stuff.  Sigh ...

When it's presentable (if ever), I will post another picture.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »
OK, new pics. Just one color to go. sorry there's tape on the canopy, I had already started taping for the next part then decided to take a couple of quick pics. One part didn't come out as I had hoped, but it's OK.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »
A last note. I'll post pics when it's done.

I shot the last color on last night. It's interesting, anyway. The pics above are minus the last two colors. They really made the final look. I'm awaiting vinyl masks from the sing shop to finish up. Then after they are shot, probably this weekend, then inklines and final clear.

Just in time to sit in the rack until spring. Sigh... At least it's done before the nasty weather comes in.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »
I think you should take that to Clovis.  It would be a shame to leave it idle until spring. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »
Howard,

yea, well, you don't have a kid in college sucking the money out of your account. Next year the kid will be graduated and working. Yippee!

Then, look out.

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for Portland to see it. BTW, the last two trim colors really did the trick. It was looking kinda dull.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 11:47:35 PM »
It's looking stunning Randy. Can't wait for the finished pics.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
Clint,

Like all planes, I suppose, all I see are the errors. But overall, it's not bad. Sure learned a lot about using candy paints, that's certain. Should be ready for clear soon - if I can get back to work on it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here