News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: weight difference-rustoleum (enamel) and duplicolor acrylic lacquer  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Chris Belcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Anyone done any tests on this? I know Rustoleum works and is fuel proof. Duplicolor is not so has to be clear coated with something. Wondering if the weight saved with the lacquer is chewed up by the clear necessary to fuel proof. I painted a UHP Gieseke Nobler with Rusto and total weight gain was 5 ozs. That was painting directly over the SLC roughed with a scotch brite pad. This job is a Legacy 40 covered with .2 carbon fiber and primed with DC540. Need to save as much weight as possible.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: weight difference-rustoleum (enamel) and duplicolor acrylic lacquer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
I've used Dupli-Color acrylic enamel on a lot of planes. It is fuel proof. I haven't used the laquer. The enamel white will craze or develop fine cracks after a year or so and I believe the lacquer will craze even more. Dupli-Color has a "wheel clear" that can be sprayed over the enamel after it cures. I also use Rustoleum 2X plain colors a lot and it is the toughest paint I have found after it cures. I spray it over monokote after only cleaning with alcohol and windex, no roughing the surface.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
I've found it very difficult to get a Rustoleum finish under about 0.0055oz/sq.in.- using the all up area of both sides of the wing, fuselage and tail.

White seems to be the heaviest of the colors but the best at covering.  Just like dope, you need a solid base coat to get uniform colors.  Yellow looks really sick without a white base coat.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here