News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water based Lacquers EM6000  (Read 982 times)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Water based Lacquers EM6000
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:08:08 AM »
Guys and gals, I had a very interesting conversation with a guy who builds guitars.

He has switched from nitrocellulose lacquer to a water-based lacquer with a special cross-linking additive to make it stand up to alcohol and other chemicals.

It's called EMTECH EM6000 and he says it sands and "feels" like regular solvent-based stuff.

It looks like it might be an alternative to the high VOC and hard to clean-up paints we use.  Anybody try it yet?

Chuck
AMA 76478

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Water based Lacquers EM6000
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:08 AM »
             Chuck, I've been using water based poly with crosslinker for years. It took a long time to achieve decent finishes. I haven't used spray equipment so each time was quite an experiment. I find it hard to accept the fact that this product you mention claims burn in technology. While this is the case with true solvent based lacquers, I strongly feel they're stretching the truth. Water based products need tooth and the fact that this product as well is using a crosslinker tells me that the crosslinker is what is structurally hardening the product. With no solvents, it's not just going to melt into prior coats like a traditional finish.  I would imagine that if coated, it could be done prior to being completely dry or within a certain amount of hours without crosslinker. However, like most crosslinkers, they can offer a bit more open time and harder finish. I quickly read through the description of this product and I would bet it would work just fine and I'm going to look into this a little more.

I used Nelson hobby paints for years. Jerry sold the business and the new owner ran it into the toilet. Systems 3 is where Jerry purchased the product and I have since purchased from them due to them providing small sample amounts in 4 oz. qty's. I recently finished up a model and I have noticed krinkling in the firewall area where fuel was on. This is a bit concerning to me and I also noticed yellowing of the clear which is a bit strange with water based poly clear. I'm willing to try this water based lacquer and comment on it a bit more. Thanks for providing the information. Ken

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
I have tried various water-based products over the past 15 years or so (woodworking and modeling) and to be honest, I can't even get a good start with them. Plastic model acrylic tends to clog up the airbrush due, even if you do get it out of the gun and it won't flow out on plastic, no matter what you clean it with. Woodworking water-based polyurethane also won't flow out, sprays poorly, and raises the grain drastically on every coat. I have tried every suggestion from the experts, and still, I end up trying to strip it, with great difficulty, and just grabbing a can of Deft spray lacquer, half a day, done.

I assume it is some technique problem, but putting water on wood seems like it is always going to raise the grain, and I expect water to bead up on plastic, so my results seem pretty intrinsic to the medium.

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »
Brett,

Water base acrylics are extremely difficult to work with.

The difficulties come with thinning. I've never used water to thin any water base paint I pushed through an airbrush, always a thinning "Airbrush Medium."

I painted my Stuka Tank Buster colors, using only Tamiya acrylic paint pushed through an airbrush. Applied mostly, not totally dry, but not wet either.

There's a Build and finishing Thread of the Stuka Tank Buster over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner. I believe I explain everything, paint applications plus photos.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here