News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keeping rattlecans working?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Keeping rattlecans working?
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
I usually end up throwing out Painters Choice rattlecans well before they are used up. I throw the spray caps in Acetone, so they are clear, but the cans plug up.  HB~>

Any clues?  ???
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Keeping rattlecans working?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
Hmmmm.

I compare the effort it takes to keep cleaning and debugging my detail spray gun, and it makes a bit of hassle with the rattle can nozzles seem very acceptable. I have not used Painter's Choice so I don't know if the problem is worse than I have experienced. I have used Rustoleum if I use a can.

After spraying, I invert the can and depress the button until it goes clear, or as good as I think it will. Then I pull the nozzle and drop it into a plastic mixing cup with lacquer thinner in it. I have also use xylene, but it doesn't seem to work any better on Rustoleum. I am often using primer and a couple of different colors, so I can switch to another nozzle at any time while the other(s) are soaking. A piece of tubing can help blow them out after soaking.

After spraying and pulling the nozzle, I run a Q-tip over the hole in the can. I rarely get much, but keep trying. Then I put a couple of drops of lacquer thinner in the hole and wait, wipe and repeat. It seems to work and I have not had issues with the can seals failing--yet. I also store the cans with the covers on, which might save me from a big mess if they did. I'd probably have a mess, just not as big.

Acetone might be better than the lacquer thinner as it is more concentrated. But if you are worried about seal damage, you might try the thinner first.

Good luck!

Dave

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Keeping rattlecans working?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
Run hot water over the cans in the sink for 10 minutes every time before you use a spray can.  It works fantastic.
Try it, you won't go back.
You're welcome.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here