blank
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:48:59 AM by Motorman »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Walmart Enamel
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 03:30:54 PM »
Walmart sells a cheap brand of enamel rattle can. It's a blue can only says interior/exterior fast dry and price is 98 cents. Just wondering if this would be fuel proof enough for flaps/elevator on a profile. I've got a few different colors from house hold projects just wondering if I could get some use from them.

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
Can't speak to fuel proof but I can as to quality - CRAP!  The pigment is so thin that it took three coats of black just to cover.  It sprays on wet even when dusting.  But, as it was in my case, that was the only black they had.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 11:07:38 PM »
If what you are talking about is the same stuff I have, I believe you will be fine. I have used the sub-dollar Walmart rattle can paint on 75% of my 1/2a planes with zero problems. To be fair, I do not fly a lot, but also, I rarely ever wipe them down with anything more than a dry paper towel. I have the black, white, blue, green, and red. And also, I do let them dry for a week plus before even attaching an engine or running them. Yes, as stated above, they are not the greatest, but for the price I like them, and buy a few each time I head down to the US. You can also shoot a coat of rattle can clear over top as well should you like.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 05:40:44 AM »
If Chancey is correct it seems this stuff is acrylic enamel (same as Rustoleum with less pigment) and after a good cure time would work OK but I would top coat with something like KBS Diamond Clear coat (also in rattle can).

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 11:31:20 AM »
If Chancey is correct it seems this stuff is acrylic enamel (same as Rustoleum with less pigment) and after a good cure time would work OK but I would top coat with something like KBS Diamond Clear coat (also in rattle can).

Best,    DennisT
You are correct.  It took a while but when completely dry it was "ok" but not even close to as shiny as Rustoleum gloss.  It may take as many as 4 coats to completely cover.  My black at three coats still has some light spots that didn't show till it cured but it did flow out smooth like real paint.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »
I made the same mistake.  Cheap paint is just that- cheap.

The stuff I got, 6 or 8 cans came home and I had very similar results.  Very erratic coverage, needed something like six separate coats.

Rustoleum or other similar, full strength products, have a lot more paint in the can, but without the painful, multicoat process.

In the end, the cheap stuff is really just more packaging and a wimpy product.  they could have put 4 cans of materials in one can, but that would not have kept the factory busy.
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: blank
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 05:51:07 PM »
Can't speak to fuel proof but I can as to quality - CRAP!  The pigment is so thin that it took three coats of black just to cover.  It sprays on wet even when dusting.  But, as it was in my case, that was the only black they had.

Ken

Don't remember where I got it, but I saw some $1 a can white so I bought 10.  Coverage is p..poor.  It can't even cover itself very well.  Needed something like 10 coats to cover.  The unused cans are slowly going into the trash after I dump the paint.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here