News:

• May 17, 2024, 11:06:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Viper update Picture  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Vincent Judd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Viper update Picture
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »
I love everything about this new airplane.  Very nice lines and a well executed paint scheme, perfect.   I will be interested to hear how it compares to your Crossfire in the air.

I went back to your other thread and tried to capture your finishing process.  Please correct me, I have a feeling I'm leaving something out.  Two coats of clear on entire bare airframe.  Cover everything in Polyspan.  Two more coats of clear.  Sanding in between each clear coat?  Spot fill problem areas somewhere during that process.   Then two coats of white base coat.  Sanded?  Then color trim.  Then clear?  That sounds oversimplified.  Did I leave something out? 

How much time do you estimate that this process saved you over the way you did your other finishes?

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 02:51:05 PM »
Any chance you could take the time to go "under the hood" and show us some of the details on how you fit everything together?  I'm very curious to see how you mounted everything.  I don't see an arming plug or a timer start button, did you hide them somewhere?  How is the timer and ESC mounted?  Can you access your timer without too much difficulty to make programming changes?   Could you show us a photo of your battery tray and how it is actually fit and mounted into the fuselage?  It looks so nicely organized and orderly.

Thanks

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
You are correct on the finish and it saved around 4 ounces. Now this won't be a 36 inch finish but should glean 18 or 19 points in a NATS setting. Here it is all paint shot, I left off the decal just because I want to fly it this week. I will start inking tonight and clear tomorrow. By Friday or Saturday I should be able to test fly it. I can always work on it some more if needed but I don't think I will need to. To do a finish such as this requires a lot of sanding. As seen here 53.5 with tip weight and arming plug. I am allowing 2 ounces for clear and that's it. The rest will be done rubbing.

AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
Any chance you could take the time to go "under the hood" and show us some of the details on how you fit everything together? I'm very curious to see how you mounted everything.  I don't see an arming plug or a timer start button, did you hide them somewhere? How is the timer and ESC mounted? Can you access your timer without too much difficulty to make programming changes?  Could you show us a photo of your battery tray and how it is actually fit and mounted into the fuselage? It looks so nicely organized and orderly.

Thanks

As seen here take the battery out and the timer is bolted over the switch. The switch is accessable in front of the landing gear in the air opening hidden from view. The ESC is rubber banded to a fixture which in turn is bolted to the fuse floor.

Arming plug sticks out the bottom in a recessed spot. Everything is hidden from view. I was tired of looking at unsightly switches knobs and protrusions sticking from the fuse. I hate the Velcro method of mounting the battery.
The battery is held in a holder that bolted to a cross member behind the motor. Centered in that is a magnet to hold the cowl on.

Last photo shows how I can change battery location after trimming. Up down backwards or forwards. Plenty of room. I am hoping to move the battery as far back as possible. That means I have the weight of a FOX.35 in the nose and not a brick. Should aid in a sharp turn. The need to fly nose heavy is reduced by engineered parameters such as motor offset and asymmetry. Guess I should have done a spread sheet and some formula to figure this out but I am a hard case. LL~
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:41:32 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Looks very good, Robert. I hope if flies very well for you. Should look slick from the judges view.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »
Well I tried new things and it didn't work. I went to the art store for some ink for film for my Repidograph pens. No luck. I know some use Staedtler pens but no luck there. So the kid said try Micron liner pens. Don't waste your time or money. I tried them and they don't dry. So I ordered some ink and I will have it Friday and I can finish inking then. Saturday is clear day.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »

Looks great Sparky, the ink detail will finish it off perfectly. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
This is how the arming plug and switch are hidden.

AMA 12366

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
Very nice, Bob.

Allen

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
Sparky,The start button hidden in the air outlet is sweet.It takes one more wart off the side.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to disassemble your project ship and show us some of the under hood details.  Lots of great ideas that I would like to incorporate into my next airplane.  Love the fact that all the stuff is hidden from sight.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
Here it is inked. I went to the blueprint supply house and got what I needed. The lines are dusted with clear to seal them but its too humid to clear today. I am going to fly it this weekend no matter what.

AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »

Looks really good Sparky. y1

Just curious, why no ink on the fuselage?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
I shot clear today and humidity was high and it did blush a little. I have been sanding with 1000 grit getting ready for the second and final coat. 54.25 now and it stops at 55.5 max. I will be flying this this weekend.
AMA 12366

Offline Rodrigo Mansano

• Ensign
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »
Wonderful plane! Congrats!

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
Looks sweet!

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
Do you sell plans for any of the Viper series ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »
Dead weight? LL~

You are almost right. There are no plans for this plane I build out of my head. Maybe someday I will draw some.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here