Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Vinyl numbers over auto 2-part

(1/1)

FLOYD CARTER:
I tried to apply vinyl lettering over automotive 2-part clear.  The vinyl fell right off.  I suppose I could use a paint mask and enamel paint.  Any hope for vinyl?

Avaiojet:

--- Quote from: FLOYD CARTER on September 27, 2020, 05:26:34 PM ---I tried to apply vinyl lettering over automotive 2-part clear.  The vinyl fell right off.  I suppose I could use a paint mask and enamel paint.  Any hope for vinyl?

--- End quote ---

That's not funny but it shouldn't happen. I'm sure there was no damage to your model.

Every vinyl material I use and provide for modelers is professional grade quality and used in the trade, not consumer grade.

It sticks and sticks well.

Now, if you flew the model and there was a film of residue this could be the issue, but I doubt it.

If the colors are "printed" then the vinyl is 5 mils thick with a clear layer of vinyl as a covering to protect the printed ink.

I try to avoid printing for modelers.

And certainly you could reexamine the Vendor.

Here's just a few models sporting my vinyl graphics. Some have a good deal of area covered with my vinyl graphics. Over and under. These are large models compared to CL models.

FLOYD CARTER:
OK.  Well, the vinyl numbers I used were on a strip sold at our LHS.  I didn't measure thickness, nor did I question the quality.  They were made for model planes, so I assumed they would work.

Dennis Toth:
Floyd,
Do they stick to anything? Seems unless there was oil or some other agents on the clear coat, they should stick. Suggest you clean surface with degreaser, then light sanding with 600, the wipe off again with degreaser and apply lettering. Hope this helps.

Best,   DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version