News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl numbers over auto 2-part  (Read 823 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Vinyl numbers over auto 2-part
« on: September 27, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »
I tried to apply vinyl lettering over automotive 2-part clear.  The vinyl fell right off.  I suppose I could use a paint mask and enamel paint.  Any hope for vinyl?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Vinyl numbers over auto 2-part
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:20:39 AM »
I tried to apply vinyl lettering over automotive 2-part clear.  The vinyl fell right off.  I suppose I could use a paint mask and enamel paint.  Any hope for vinyl?

That's not funny but it shouldn't happen. I'm sure there was no damage to your model.

Every vinyl material I use and provide for modelers is professional grade quality and used in the trade, not consumer grade.

It sticks and sticks well.

Now, if you flew the model and there was a film of residue this could be the issue, but I doubt it.

If the colors are "printed" then the vinyl is 5 mils thick with a clear layer of vinyl as a covering to protect the printed ink.

I try to avoid printing for modelers.

And certainly you could reexamine the Vendor.

Here's just a few models sporting my vinyl graphics. Some have a good deal of area covered with my vinyl graphics. Over and under. These are large models compared to CL models.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
OK.  Well, the vinyl numbers I used were on a strip sold at our LHS.  I didn't measure thickness, nor did I question the quality.  They were made for model planes, so I assumed they would work.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »
Floyd,
Do they stick to anything? Seems unless there was oil or some other agents on the clear coat, they should stick. Suggest you clean surface with degreaser, then light sanding with 600, the wipe off again with degreaser and apply lettering. Hope this helps.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here