News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl lettering - wait time before clear coat?  (Read 880 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Vinyl lettering - wait time before clear coat?
« on: March 23, 2023, 10:57:33 AM »
Guys,
I have used vinyl lettering on several ships and had good luck and bad. If you apply the vinyl and then go to clear coat same day, it has a problem with the edges curling. How long have you waited before clear coat to get smooth edges?

Best,    DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Vinyl lettering - wait time before clear coat?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 12:49:02 PM »
Guys,
I have used vinyl lettering on several ships and had good luck and bad. If you apply the vinyl and then go to clear coat same day, it has a problem with the edges curling. How long have you waited before clear coat to get smooth edges?

Best,    DennisT

You are clear-coating over vinyl stickers? I can't imagine that the adhesion is very good.

Brett

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 08:26:46 AM »
Interesting question.  I also never try to clear over vinyl.  The times I used it, I accepted that I would have an edge on the letters/numbers.  Did you try a mist coat and let it dry well first ??

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 04:49:31 PM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:29:23 PM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 06:22:33 AM »
It almost sounds like the clear coat leached (seeped) beneath the edge of the vinyl loosening the adhesion? So is the solution to install the vinyl after clear coating?

Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 09:33:45 AM »
My thought on reading this is that it depends entirely on the adhesive, not the fact that you're using vinyl.

How smooth of a coat do you get when all is said and done?  And how bad is it if you sand into but not through a letter?  You basically need to build up a clear coat around the letters that's as thick as the vinyl.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 02:07:05 PM »
The longer the vinyl is on, the stronger the bond to the surface will be. What type of clear are you using?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 06:52:18 PM »
 Shooting clear over vinyl works just fine and lasts indefinitely, if you're careful and know what you're doing. The biggest trick, and the short explanation, is to spray the initial coats "dry" and light with drying time allowed between those coats. Do so until you get things sealed and covered enough to get yourself into a safe zone for a heavier final coat. I've done this on countless models with consistent success. My "YIPPEE" P-38 is just one example, other than the canopy detail all the other graphics are vinyl sealed and finished with Brodak clear.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 06:54:30 AM »
WWW,
My question is how long do you need to let the vinyl set in place before applying the the clear coat? When I had the issue was when I applied the vinyl then very soon after hit it with the clear. I have read that letting it set a few days lets the adhesive bond better then it is less effected by the clear coat. Just not sure how long is long enough?

Best,   DennisT

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 06:09:29 PM »
WWW,
My question is how long do you need to let the vinyl set in place before applying the the clear coat? When I had the issue was when I applied the vinyl then very soon after hit it with the clear. I have read that letting it set a few days lets the adhesive bond better then it is less effected by the clear coat. Just not sure how long is long enough?

Best,   DennisT

I think it probably boils down to the overall quality of the materials more than anything. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to let them sit for a time but personally, and in my experience, I don't feel like it matters. My hunch is that there's more to the problem you're having than just the allowed adhesion time.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here