News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl Cutter  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Astropuppy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Vinyl Cutter
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
Can anybody recommend or share their experiences with vinyl cutters?

I'd like to cut film covering and paint masks. So far, after watching stunt hangar's and other youtube videos, the US Cutter MH 871 is at the top of my list.

Much Appreciated.

Stunt Hangar video.

Astropuppy

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Vinyl Cutter
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
I have an MH 721 and for the money it performs pretty well.  A few quirks with the software and tracking on long sheets but all in all I'm pleased.  Cuts great paint masks.
Jim Vigani

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »
I have an MH 721 and for the money it performs pretty well.  A few quirks with the software and tracking on long sheets but all in all I'm pleased.  Cuts great paint masks.

Indeed.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
I bought a vinyl cutter from Sign Warehouse in 2012.  I had no idea what I was getting, Vinyl Express R series.  It still works fine and was only $200.00  Prices have come down (relatively), U S cutters were more expensive at the time.  The only problem I had was the software that came with the machine was limited.  Of course, they said they would upgrade for a phenomenal fee (my words).  I opted for Corel, which work out well.  Nowadays, most machines will work with about any vector file generated from a cad file.  I have since updated with newer software because I had to get a new computer.  Now I can directly import a .PDF and go from there.

I make mostly paint masks and find it very easy to make creative designs.  With Corel, I like to sketch my actual airplane so I will know exactly what it will look like when completed.  Vinyl trim for Monocoat or similar is easy.  Cutting trim with the actual plastic covering (Monokote, Ultrakote) is more of a challenge but I have done it.

Probably almost any brand of cutter will work fine.  The most popular around here is from US Cutters.  We have a distributor locally.  I bought mine from EBay.  You don't have to break the bank, for our purposes the lower end seems to be fine.  More important is the design application, the reason I spent another $100.00 on Corel.

As for the paint mask material, I use MacTac.  I buy mine from Ordway http://www.signsupply.com/Vinyl/MacTac/9800.asp but there are a few more distributors.

Have fun!

Mike

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:19:18 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback.
Astropuppy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here