News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:55:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector 40 paint scheme template  (Read 1280 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Vector 40 paint scheme template
« on: March 16, 2023, 10:18:32 PM »
 I drew this up so i could print off copies to come up with a paint scheme for my new plane. It should download and print on standard size printer paper. Its not to scale but close enough. Most stunt designs are sort of similar so feel free to use it, even if its not a Vector 40.
Kevin

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Vector 40 paint scheme template
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 10:42:33 PM »
Thanks, Kevin!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 07:05:27 AM »
Thanks, Kevin!
You're welcome Dave. I was actually hoping to have others upload their templates as well, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:50:53 PM by kevin king »

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:10:29 AM »
Cool !!  Thanks for posting.  I have a Vector kit sitting on a shelf ready for building.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 06:43:12 PM »
Who woulda thought coloring in side the lines back in grade one would pay off?  :)! Ive got a Banshee template to, will upload it here.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 12:45:56 AM »
The best I've been able to do with standard tools is some crude outlines in Powerpoint. Helps me with the color selection and some of the details, but not if you are trying to complement any unique shapes/outlines that you didn't/can't generate in PP. It can be a struggle to get the color shade correct when you are trying to work with the basic pallet. On this example, I used Klasskote orange on the fuse which was brighter and redder than the PP choice. On the positive side, with a couple of keystrokes, you can make copy after copy and just edit the colors until you see what you like using side by side comparisons. After a couple of different planes, you sort of have a "kit" of numbers, stripes, checks, etc.

On this particular "Trash Can Cardinal" I was happy with it except that I chose a SIG lightweight iron-on which had poor adhesion, even to itself. And, it didn't hold up well. So now I need to recover it if it is to fly again. Since I rebuild the plane out of several club members donations to the trash can, I'm not real enthused about more repairs....

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 01:33:39 AM »
The best I've been able to do with standard tools is some crude outlines in Powerpoint. Helps me with the color selection and some of the details, but not if you are trying to complement any unique shapes/outlines that you didn't/can't generate in PP. It can be a struggle to get the color shade correct when you are trying to work with the basic pallet. On this example, I used Klasskote orange on the fuse which was brighter and redder than the PP choice. On the positive side, with a couple of keystrokes, you can make copy after copy and just edit the colors until you see what you like using side by side comparisons. After a couple of different planes, you sort of have a "kit" of numbers, stripes, checks, etc.

On this particular "Trash Can Cardinal" I was happy with it except that I chose a SIG lightweight iron-on which had poor adhesion, even to itself. And, it didn't hold up well. So now I need to recover it if it is to fly again. Since I rebuild the plane out of several club members donations to the trash can, I'm not real enthused about more repairs....
Thanks for uploading the Cardinal template Dave. Youve taken it a step further than me adding the colors and graphics. I just use a pencil, ruler and an eraser. If i feel i need to add color,  I just use pencil crayons. 😄

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 11:11:44 AM »
I don't have any of the usual suspects but here is mine for my Endgame Design.  I will do about 10 designs before I find one I dislike less than the others. HB~>

Ken

Scan was a bit weak.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »
I do my paint schemes on Microsoft paint. I draw out the profile on paint and then start doodling from there. Here’s a couple of my wilder schemes I’ve drawn out on various airplanes that didn’t make the final cut
Matt Colan

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 02:40:36 PM »
You sure have an eye for paint schemes Matt.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 03:07:10 AM »
Paul's Banshee paint scheme template, hand drawn, worked well for me.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:28:42 AM by kevin king »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 08:39:06 PM »
Here's another example of my admittedly crude "graphics kit" on a Magician 15.  I got this 20-30 year old plane out of a friend's attic. The fuse and tail had been done in K&B epoxy and were still in good shape. So I chose to work with that as a starting point even though the color wasn't something I would have picked. And the picture shows what I ended up with. The more I looked at it the better it suited me, so the basic scheme (but not that shade of poop-on mustard for the fuse) might end up on a better plane in the future.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here