News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:04:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using vinyl paint masks for graphics  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Just completed this PDK Buster 45
Using vinyl paint masks for graphics
« on: July 08, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
I want to learn how to paint graphics on my model using vinyl low impact adhesive stencils.
Can anyone with this experience explain the process?  Also any links to companies that I can order custom stencils from is appreciated.  I might be off track here so any other suggestions to get good graphics are welcome. My plan is also to get a thin black line bordering my letters and numbers.    Thanks,  Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Using vinyl paint masks for graphics
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
I want to learn how to paint graphics on my model using vinyl low impact adhesive stencils.
Can anyone with this experience explain the process?  Also any links to companies that I can order custom stencils from is appreciated.  I might be off track here so any other suggestions to get good graphics are welcome. My plan is also to get a thin black line bordering my letters and numbers.    Thanks,  Phil

Phil,

I don't know where to start?

Do you know of CFC Graphics in the vendor's corner?

Well, that's me. I've been providing vinyl graphics and paint masks to the modeling community for 20 years.

I'll do any graphics, but I specialize in Warbird graphics for large R/C models.

My graphics and paint masks have been on many models that have won scale contest, including the CL NATS.

Many CL and R/C modelers have purchased masks and graphics from me. You can see some of their models over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner.

Here's a link to my work at RCU. Some really nice models there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memID=11343&pageon=1

Here's a sample of what can be done with paint masks and vinyl graphics.

PM me or send an e-mail and we can get things going.

I'll send samples so you can get an idea as to what this vinyl and mask medium is like.

I'll answer all your questions.

CB

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:03:50 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:52:26 PM »
Charles,
Are they a vinyl mask that you stick down and spray through? I have a few things I always make the same decal for on every plane I build, and a re-useable mask would be great to have. Can they be cleaned(if necessary) and reused several times?

Thanks for the extra lettering decals you sent me last year, they sure came in handy after repairing my wreck.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:38:41 AM »
Charles,
Are they a vinyl mask that you stick down and spray through? I have a few things I always make the same decal for on every plane I build, and a re-useable mask would be great to have. Can they be cleaned(if necessary) and reused several times?

Thanks for the extra lettering decals you sent me last year, they sure came in handy after repairing my wreck.
Rusty

Rusty,

The paint masks I use are one time use only, peel off the backing, put them in place, paint, remove, throw away.  The paint lines are pretty much perfect with these vinyl masks.

Don

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:13:48 AM »
Charles,

Rusty

Rusty,

"Stencils," a word that should be researched so the true definition can be understood. This is what can be cleaned and reused. Not suitable for detailing models but great for a wood shipping container. "THIS SIDE UP."  LL~

Stencils are NOT what I provide for the painting of "masked" areas. A Stencil is an entirely different thing. I never use the word.

It's like "You wind it up and it rolls along the floor."

My guess is you should stay with the decal and protect it with a fuel proof clear. You can print on vinyl but again a clear vinyl layer is placed over the ink or you must use a fuel proof clear over the ink.

As I did with the international flags on the ARGO. No extra layer of clear vinyl, just the last fuel proof clear coat over the entire model.

I don't provide decals but have created art for that purpose. Producing art can get costly and sometimes white needs to be printed as opposed to using white decal paper.

I use a combination of applied vinyl graphics and paint masks on all my models. Easy and quick and they look really good. Well, I think they do.  ;D

I send plenty of "Checks" out to modelers. It's important to have correct measurements when sizing them so they take on a good, well planed, look as they do on actual aircraft.

Like a tile guy that doesn't know what he's doing. 16" tiles except for the row against the wall, 1".

These kind of mistakes need to be avoided if you really want a great looking model.

Or floor. LL~

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty,

Thanks for the reply.

CB

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »
Thanks, CB... & Don.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
Thanks, CB... & Don.

Rusty,

PM me your address and I send out a sample of what paint masks are.

CB

Advertise Here

Advertise Here