News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using Enamel Hobby Paint for Artistic Design under Polyurethane  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Brendan Eberenz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Using Enamel Hobby Paint for Artistic Design under Polyurethane
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:35:16 AM »
I am a complete newcomer to CL flying. Started flying in June of this year and have been rapidly getting up to speed on building and flying. My son (age 8) and I (age 37) have caught the CL bug.

I have started building a couple of trainer planes from a design created by a friend. As I look at a finish for the fuselage I plan on using polyurethane.

I am interested in exploring options for creative paint designs on the fuselage. For one reason, my son is 8, so cool colors/images creates more excitement. Secondly, my mother-in-law is an artist and would like to get involved in her grandson's new found passion.

So... here is my fuselage finishing plan.
1) Two coats of polyurethane
2) Use a spray paint primer followed by an enamel spray paint to set a base color (probably gray)
3) Allow my mother to paint a design with hobby paint enamel.
4) Final coating of polyurethane.

I guess my main concern is about the hobby paint enamel (like the set seen in my attached picture). Does anybody have experience or history with using hobby paint enamel and how it may hold up with a polyurethane coating? Other thoughts and opinions about my approach are appreciated. Thanks.

- Brendan

Tom Vieira

Re: Using Enamel Hobby Paint for Artistic Design under Polyurethane
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »
Probably the easiest way to find out would be to find a cardboard box, spray a base, then lay out some sort of design with the enamel, then try to clear it.  you'll know pretty quick if it eats it causes problems?  it's been a while since I built a plastic model, but from what I remember, once the paint dries, it isn't going anywhere...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
I guess my main concern is about the hobby paint enamel (like the set seen in my attached picture). Does anybody have experience or history with using hobby paint enamel and how it may hold up with a polyurethane coating? Other thoughts and opinions about my approach are appreciated. Thanks.

- Brendan

I understand the desire to use the enamel plastic model paint, it's great stuff in plastic model quantities, with remarkable coverage. I don't know, but car clear will *probably* go over it OK. But I don't think it is a good idea to put non-fuel-proof materials on the airplane, even with a fuel-proof coating over it.

Brett

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »
I was unable to get my hands on any fuel proof stuff when I build my first ship after coming back to the sport.  I read what I could here on other paints and what I surmised was that Enamel will become fuel resistant if left to dry for at least two weeks.  I used the Testors Red in the itty bitty bottle to coat the engine well on a profile since it was a near perfect match to the red MonoKote.  I have perhaps 100 flights on the plane over 10 months and there is ZERO softening of the paint.  I also use that same paint on the tips of my props to highlight and balance them.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the thoughts.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »
Be aware that typical hardware/paint store polyurethane clear gets pretty yellow with age...may or may not look good over your color scheme. But may also not matter for early projects that may not last terribly long.  :o Steve

Edit: To add to Ty's rules of paint...urethane over latex (putty, filler, stain or paint) is also a no-no.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here