Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Urethane colors

(1/2) > >>

James Mills:
I was speaking with a local paint store where I bought the urethane clear I've used on the last couple of planes and he told me I can buy urethane colors in 8 ounce touch up jars.  My question, is this the type of paint some of you guys are using when I read about being able shoot an entire paint job in one or two days?

Thanks,

James

Mark Scarborough:
James, Not sure, is it a base coat that needs cleared, or is it a single stage that needs catalyzed?
I shot my Avenger in two days, start to finish including clear, its in the Classic section.
Basecoat colors are generally ready to mask on in a couple hours excepting pearls and metallics which you would want to give 3 or 4 hours because they will tape track pretty bad if you get in a hurry
if they are single stage colors, then you are looking at one color a day most likely, and the end result has the potential to be much heavier,,

James Mills:
Mark,

My paint guy told me I would mix it with the same reducer and hardener that is used for the clear.  I was thinking it would be a way to go from primer to clear in a few days instead of a month or so.

James

Mark Scarborough:
that is single stage, and the colors will be heavier than clear. Personally, unless you are doing a single color, or maybe a two color job, It is not the way I would go. But then i tend to get rather carried away with some of my trim colors and schemes. I prefer the base coat clear coat system

James Mills:

--- Quote from: Mark Scarborough on March 01, 2010, 10:13:31 PM ---that is single stage, and the colors will be heavier than clear. Personally, unless you are doing a single color, or maybe a two color job, It is not the way I would go. But then i tend to get rather carried away with some of my trim colors and schemes. I prefer the base coat clear coat system

--- End quote ---
I've never used base coat clear coat system, what is this?

Thanks,

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version