News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:02:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ultracote on fuse  (Read 1452 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Ultracote on fuse
« on: July 14, 2022, 10:56:28 AM »
Has anyone applied Ultracote on a fuse after sealing the wood with Ultracote (want to know if it will stay down)?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Ultracote on fuse
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 12:15:29 PM »
Best thing to do is try a test patch.

Motorman 8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:09:21 PM by Motorman »

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »
Has anyone applied Ultracote on a fuse after sealing the wood with Ultracote (want to know if it will stay down)?

Thanks,

James
i suppose you selaed the wood with dope or wood sealer.
first thing is that ultracote have a limited life of about 5-8 years and starts to delaminate the bond/color from the clear film leaving an ugly plane and edges starts to peel off.
i have been professionally building planes on the last 25 years or more and i have been through it with my models. now i only use monokote.
second thing, if you sealed the wood, the bond will be the material over itself on the edges, the bond over the wood will be minimal because when you heat the material it liberates gas while bonding, and you need some space for the gas to dissipate, the sealed wood prevents that a lot. it will be a floating covering with minimal adhesion ( been there done that). considering the situation ultracote would bond better than monokote on that sealed wood.
i would opt for a painted fuselage and monokoted wings. btw my method of choice.
regards

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 03:41:31 PM »
i suppose you selaed the wood with dope or wood sealer.
first thing is that ultracote have a limited life of about 5-8 years and starts to delaminate the bond/color from the clear film leaving an ugly plane and edges starts to peel off.
i have been professionally building planes on the last 25 years or more and i have been through it with my models. now i only use monokote.
second thing, if you sealed the wood, the bond will be the material over itself on the edges, the bond over the wood will be minimal because when you heat the material it liberates gas while bonding, and you need some space for the gas to dissipate, the sealed wood prevents that a lot. it will be a floating covering with minimal adhesion ( been there done that). considering the situation ultracote would bond better than monokote on that sealed wood.
i would opt for a painted fuselage and monokoted wings. btw my method of choice.
regards
Thanks!  I almost ordered UltraKote.  While I have you which one of the MonoKote whites is the whitest (Jett or Pearl) and is either of them is opaquer than the other?  I try and cover all seams with trim but some are more difficult than others and the overlap shows with white.

Ken

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 06:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I should have mentioned that I sealed the wood with ZAP finishing resign not dope.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
How does the film from Hobby King compare to Ultra/Monokote?  Price is nice.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 10:31:44 AM »
first thing is that ultracote have a limited life of about 5-8 ....
I am taking your advice and going with my old friend MonoKote.  Do you, or anyone else, know which of the whites is the most opaque and which is the most white? (Jet vs Pearl)

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 06:39:25 PM »
The Jet white is a solid color, the Pearl is a bit milky.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 01:33:40 PM »
How does the film from Hobby King compare to Ultra/Monokote?  Price is nice.
peels in few months, very low quality and lack uniformity of color.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here