News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Candy Pink & Purple - Advice Needed  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Brodak Candy Pink & Purple - Advice Needed
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »
I have a Perky ready for color painting. I want to use Brodak Candy Pink or Purple Dope, which I have on hand. I have some UV Blocker on hand as well.  Any advise using these colors as to base coat, fading etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Candy Pink & Purple - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
First: if Mark Scarborough, Randy Powell, Billy Biles or some other competent painter says different, then ignore this.

Second: candy colors are not one color -- they're an effect that you get with at least two coats of paint.

To make a candy color you paint a silver (or sometimes gold) base coat, then you paint a translucent coat over that.  So to get candy purple you'd paint the plane silver, then you'd paint purple over that.  Because the color coat is translucent, the paint job will be very sensitive to paint thickness.  This means that it needs to be sprayed, and it needs to be all one thickness or -- if you're really good -- of controlled thickness for shading.  If I tried to paint a plane candy color it'd be stripey and ugly.  I don't think an effective candy color could be done with a brush at all unless you (a) are monumentally good and (b) work the brush marks into the finish, i.e. make a candy woodgrain.

It'll be heavy.  This, plus the fact that it's hard to do it right, is why you see more candy colored cars than airplanes (and why you don't see a lot of candy colored cars).

Note that you can get some really cool, if subtle, effects by using candy colors over a solid base coat.  Candy red over black, for instance, gives you a black airplane with red highlights, instead of a black airplane with white highlights.  Candy over white will give you surfaces that are a deeper red when looked at from an angle than they are when looked at straight on.  And, I'm pretty sure (I hope Mark weighs in on this), candy over a solid color should be lighter.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

John Leidle

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
   I used the purple once & it really faded
  john

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:43:09 PM »
well,,,,,,,,,,
deep breath,, I shall attempt to keep this to a truncated form,, I could write a LOT about this
first off,, if you are set ,, really set ,, on using candy,, then

my first suggestion would be to spray a base color of silver with some of the purple in it for the projected purple areas,, IOW mix some of the purple candy in with silver to obtain a purplish tinted silver,, then apply the purple candy over it. Mix the candy very thin,, if you are typically reducing the brodak dope 50 percent, then reduce it 100 percent,, when spraying the candy your gun MUST be patterend well,, IOW spraying a perfectly even ovoid shape with no light spots,, whimpy ends, or light in center,, I overlap about 70 percent with the goal to spray light coats but you MUST get enough material on for adhesion. Its a delicate balance with candy,, you need to have enough solvent to "melt" the new layer into the existing layers, but if you apply it to heavy you will get very nasty ugly streaks in the candy. Also alternate directions with each coat. so the first coat is sprayed for example,, wingtip to wingtip,, and the second goes front to back, the third diagonally from lower left to upper right, the fourth from upper left to lower right.. repeat as needed.
The number of coats of candy will affect the effect ( wow, never thought I would use both those words in the same sentance,, uh,, where was I),,
I would expect at least four to six coats will be needed especially over thinned. This should give you a nice rich depth...
from the last coat of tinted silver to the last coat of candy ANY dust will show up as dark spots and be very obvious,, you cannot sand and preferably wont touch the surface during this process as fingerprints can and will show through the candy,,

the same premise holds true for the pink.

Now for the deepest most dramatic effect you would not tint the silver base,, just start building candy over it,, but its even more of a pain to get a good job.

the good thing youhave going for you is that your plane is small, with lots of curves and few flat surfaces,,, this helps hide any difflugalties in the candy..
as to UV,, not sure if you have an addative for dope, or two stage urethane clear. My reccomendation would be a couple coats of catalized auto clear because then the UV protection is a known quantity,,
if this is an addative for dope, I have not experience with it, would be suspicious of it yellowing the clear in a short time ( just a historical experience, no direct knowledge of failures in dope,, never used it)
aside from that,, getting a "space blanket" or some form of covering to protect it when not flying which will keep the sun off it would be VERY VERY advantagous if you get a finish result you are happy with,, if you are not happy with what you end up with, then set it in the sun as often as you can and it will fade away,, and along with it your frustration ,, ( thats a joke son,, humor,, )
Hope this helps,,
I will try to check back if you have more questions..
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
I've never used Brodak candy paint. When I have (foolishly) tried my hand at candy paints, I've used House of Kolor candy concentrates in clear dope. They don't fade or wash out. Pete Peterson uses the same idea when doing transparent finishes. He puts HOK candy in clear dope and just starts shooting coats on the airframe until he gets the tint he wants. Weirdly, he doesn't use candy yellow for a yellow transparent finish. He uses HOK Lime/Gold. Guess it's the color of the balsa that turns it yellow.

As Mark notes, candy finishes are complex to do and can end up being really heavy due to the number of coats needed. Be light on the paint trigger.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:33:57 PM »
Re-read Mark's comments, and you'll understand that while "civilians" think candy color is cool because of how it looks, anyone who is or who thinks they are a real painter (I'm the latter) knows that candy is cool because when it turns out right it's a difficult job done well.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
Yea, I've had a couple of candy tries. One (the second) came out pretty well. Multi-color undercoat that allowed the candy to change color as it was laid on over each different base. The first was a disaster that ended up being sanded off and a second effort was made that was passable. My general rule is, don't do a finish that will embarrass me. I'll take passable.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
My general rule is, don't do a finish that will embarrass me. I'll take passable.

This is the opposite of the Randy Powell I know.  That Randy aims for spectacular.  He usually achieves spectacular, but sometimes gets the heartbreak of psoriasis.  I hope you aren't getting conventional in your old age.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »
Wait till you see the refinish on the Slider.

I have an idea for using Yellow Jacket Metallic with candy over that. Should be interesting.

;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
The number of coats of candy will affect the effect ( wow, never thought I would use both those words in the same sentance,, uh,, where was I),,

Wow.  If I ever attempt a candy finish that comment will effect how I affect the effect.

Sorry -- I couldn't resist.  I'll go back to work now.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
Re-read Mark's comments, and you'll understand that while "civilians" think candy color is cool because of how it looks, anyone who is or who thinks they are a real painter (I'm the latter) knows that candy is cool because when it turns out right it's a difficult job done well.

I fake it,, sometimes well

My WORST most scarey,, intimidating paint job ever,, was on a on a 1973 impala,,,Purple Candy complete paintjob,, no graphics, no stripes,,  I walked around that car at least a dozen times just spraying candy,, that didnt count the coat of sealer,, three coats of metallic base,, then a dozen coats of purple candy,, then three coats of catalized clear,, block sand that clear with 600,, then three more coats of clear over that.
to the average passer by it looked awesome,, to me,, well,,  I was satisfied with the end result,, not pleased but satisfied,, I tried to talk the guy out of it,, sigh

that was a BIG car,, I think I was in and out of the booth basically 24 hours straight,,
candy can be awesome,, or awefull, the difference is,, well,,,,, minimal
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »
Just for info, those are gurls colors, not for AIRPLANES. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ H^^
HEY Purple is an awesome color,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
Just to be clear, Pete Peterson uses House of Kolor candy concentrate mixed with Randolph clear dope as a base coat.  Trim is applied on top, then clear coated with clear dope.  His airplanes are always extremely light and well done.  This is his departed Caprice.  This one was 44 oz. I believe.
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
Yea, I was talking about his transparent finishes. The trim is, of course, opaque.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here