News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Clear Dope -  (Read 2471 times)

Offline José Almeida

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Brodak Clear Dope -
« on: September 10, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
Hi Friends

I bought a while a few cans of 16 oz of Brodak Clear Butyrate Dope, Thinner and some can of Brodak Paint Colours at Paul Winter in UK.

I do that there, because is the only place in Europe where I had find and without problems for delivery.

However, last month when preparing for cover my new OTS model, "All American", I open one can of clear dope and are completed dried.  :( :'( :'(

I checked all the others and are in it. It was never opened any can. I've been to see the label had expiration date and nothing.

Fortunately the others products are in good conditions  :)

It is normal that happens?

Can I use other brand of clear dope with Brodak colours? Any suggestion are welcome  #^

Any comments or similar reports has occurred like to me, please share.

Thanks in advance

José

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: Brodak Clear Dope -
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:07:49 AM »
The photo that José included looks to be the type of can with the screw-on cap.  These containers normally have the metal seal that has to be pried off when the cap is removed.  Maybe this seal had failed to do its job.

I had a quart can (with screw on cap) of Brodak clear that dried up.  I used some of the dope, put the cap on, then put it aside for maybe a year.  When I opened it the dope was the consistency of putty.  I figured that the cap had not sealed very well even though I needed pliers to get the cap off.  This clear was not the Crystal Clear but was the clear that had a slight amber tint.

I never had such a problem with the cans with the lid that is held on with the tabs and then has to be pried off. 

If the can was never opened and the seal intact, then maybe a formulation error is to blame.

As Ty mentioned, you can use Randolph dope as it is compatible with Brodak dope.  I have some Randolph clear, both tautening and non-tautening.  The label on the tautening dope says that it is not to be used on any polyester fabric.  I guess this would include polyspan.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
It has been my experience that someone (at Brodaks) didn't get the lid quite tight enough on the cans of thinner and the cans leaked. Easy fix: I just tightened them up!
Haven't experienced that with any of the clear dope. But, I'll check all my cans to make sure they are all liquid. y1

Cheers, Jerry

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:48 AM »
Thanks TY, Tim and Gerald for your replies.

Yes, the can's have screw on cap, but for sure the seal had failed.  :(  :'( :'(

However, thanks too for yours opinions and recommendation of Randolph products.
Like is an American products, I've no idea the Brodak dope and similar are made by themes  :o

Already make a search and find Randolph products here in Europe. Its good have good products near us.

Cheers
José

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Randolph's makes Brodak dope. Not sure if the formula is changed at all, but I've used Brodak colors with Randolph's clear without issue. I get Randolph's an a full scale aircraft supplier a gallon at a time and have never had any problems with it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here