News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: trim paint over klass kote  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
trim paint over klass kote
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »
So I've got a ship that has had the base color yellow sprayed with Klass Kote and I want to paint some detailed trim with something other than $50 dollar pints of other colors.  Tested dope and it pretty much just rubs off after drying.  Does anything other than more Klass Kote adhere to Klass Kote?

Ted Fancher

Online Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: trim paint over klass kote
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
Ted, hate to offer obvious advice, but since KlassKote is essentially epoxy, did you scuff up the surface before you put the dope on? I can’t imagine anything adhering to it otherwise. But I’d try some of the Rustoleum rattle cans for trim colors. Might stick better than dope and it’s cheap.
Is there going to be a clearcoat over the whole works?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 10:50:55 PM »
So I've got a ship that has had the base color yellow sprayed with Klass Kote and I want to paint some detailed trim with something other than $50 dollar pints of other colors.  Tested dope and it pretty much just rubs off after drying.  Does anything other than more Klass Kote adhere to Klass Kote?

Ted Fancher

What colors do you want? I have tons of K&B and Klass-kote colors that are fully compatible.

Brett

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:52:24 AM »
Not trying to hijack the thread here but I think  this is relevant. Is Klass-Kote thinner compatible with K&B? I too have both K&B and Klass-Kote  colors but am down to my last pint of K&B thinner  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
Klasskote sells a flavor of thinner/reducer that works better with SuperPoxy than "regular" Klasskote thinner . I just used some yesterday with Superpoxy.

BB

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »
A hundred years from now Keith Richards will finishing airplanes with Superpoxy.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
A hundred years from now Keith Richards will finishing airplanes with Superpoxy.

For sure! It seems neither one ever runs out!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
Not trying to hijack the thread here but I think  this is relevant. Is Klass-Kote thinner compatible with K&B? I too have both K&B and Klass-Kote  colors but am down to my last pint of K&B thinner  8)

Not the regular thinner, but the #550 "fast" thinner works perfectly with K&B superpoxy.

http://www.klasskote.com/product/KKR550032

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:10:31 PM »
For sure! It seems neither one ever runs out!

K&B seems to last forever, but, Hobbypoxy *does not*. In fact, given the results, I think almost every can of Hobbypoxy I ever owned was past it;s date, and it didn't work right. I actually think that KlassKote is more-or-less exactly the same product as Hobbypoxy, but fresh.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
I find it encouraging that Ted is building a plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
Hmm, looks as if I have the regular #500 K-K thinner. I'll be getting the #550 soon, Thanks!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
Thanx all for your input.  Been very busy preparing music for concerts our chorus is finishing prep for and haven't gotten back to check.

Especially like the comments about Super Poxy. (I know...should'a asked Brett when he was over putting fuel tubes into the tank for my super stunter Citation V that will...one day...be my contest vehicle again.  Worked pretty good back in 1986 when it won the Nats so there might be a chance if I don't get dizzy)

I've got a drawer full of K&B Super Poxy that has been "aging like a fine wine" since I painted that same airplane.  Never even occurred to me it might still be useable.  Sounds worth a test shot or two.

Clint, I'll definitely try scuffing it up a bit.  I've got some over spray on the cardboard "holders" for spraying the flaps and elevators  I can hit with some 4/600 or so.

thanks again to all for the suggestions.

Ted

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
I've got a drawer full of K&B Super Poxy that has been "aging like a fine wine" since I painted that same airplane.  Never even occurred to me it might still be useable.  Sounds worth a test shot or two.

As far as I can tell, it has nearly infinite life. My limitation has been thinner, but the Klasskote #550 "fast" thinner appears to work fine. Some varieties and batches of hardware store thinners also work, however, you can never tell from batch to batch, even if they are from the same company, part #, and can.

If you need colors, I have many, but not blue or white. I have all the K&B green or orange you might ever want. Also, a decent supply of the #550 thinner, use all you want but replace it when you get the chance.

Don't use the green over the yellow unless you plan on moving to Australia.

Expect the K&B catalyst to be dark brown to nearly black, even it was unopened. I use that to good effect to sort-of match the yelled white paint on my airplane, but it *will* affect the color, white of course more than most. But of course I have white KlassKote, too (including the can I had to cut open with a can opener after the screw-top decided to become one with the spout). It is *stark white* when used with clear catalyst.

I have freely mixed the KlassKote and K&B catalyst, and that also appears to work (same thing worked with K&B and Hobbypoxy - everything was good except the thinner). The regular Klasskote or Hobbypoxy thinner (#500) *will not work with K&B* of any variety, it will sort of "curdle".

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here