News:

• May 20, 2024, 08:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Protection  (Read 996 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Paint Protection
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »
Hi guys,

What do you do to protect yourself from paint??? What type of mask do you wear??? Do ya just take your plane outside and let the four winds blow????? Do ya do the old rag trick and wrap it around your face??? I wonder if anyone has tried to wear a plastic bag??? Darn bag would cloud up and ya couldn't see out of it??? Just curious and my wife told me I need to get one???? I watch Windy, on video, cough his way thru a paint job??? I would appreciate your input.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Paint Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
I take a deep breath and hold it, shoot paint as quickly as possible, then run away from the plane and gasp for air. Flip the plane over and repeat. n~

Not really! I use a single charcoal filtered mask and goggles for shooting urethane and dope.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:09:31 AM »
Definitely use a good mask when spraying any of our "paints".

I use an OSHA approved charcoal filter mask I picked up at Lowe's.  Not the cheapest one I could find, but reasonable.  It will have information on the packaging as to what it "filters".

My *spray booth* is an "open" screened in side porch with a ceiling fan.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Edinger

• Commander
  • Hawker Hurricane
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
Harbor Freight has good Paint masks for a reasonable price... have never checked them on paint suits.. but paper suits are available at a reasonable  price to protect your body.. zippered paper coveralls if you will.. will work for several paint jobs if your carefull taking them on and off... usually have to get them at the auto paint store...
Lee's Summit MO
AMA 896082

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
Dont mess around with your health.

I will paint, and sand this way - With headphones on !
Double filtered - twice, I use a charcoal filter mask - cost me about $ 70 I can paint, dope, PPG clear without fear of death.

hehe you can see the US nats model in the background.. so close to finish.. so excited.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
Mine looks a lot like PJ's but I have a better haircut.

AO Safety mask and two stage filters. I change them out every time I shoot catalyzed polyuretane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »
hey Whats your hair look like after a 7 hr sanding session then a shoot of primer ?

winge winge wing about your shoulder ( hahha - bad hair day indeed ! )
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:26 AM »
HI Randy,  curious about changing each time you shoot the clear.  Are the filters becoming clogged, or just losing their effectiveness?  I might need to look into that.  I have a mask that looks similar to P.J.'s (except it is gray) with double filters, one being charcoal.

One other thing I have done is to cover my arms and wear some latex gloves to cover the hands when shooting the catalyzed stuff.  After the first time I did it here at home, I didn't and my arms were sticky from the overspray.  I didn't think that was good.........  maybe why my chest glows bright green from the inside out when the lights are out.... ???  ;D

(I now do the same thing when shooting dope and lacquer)

I have always wanted to add a two car garage, one to use for work and building and the other side as an evacuation (down draft) spray booth.  You never build a garage at the house to park cars in. LL~ LL~ 
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02:59 AM »
Its common Knowlegde I spray my PPG in an automotive Body shop after hours, downward Draft Thermo Controlled, Baked.

Build one of those Bill  :)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:53:43 AM »
Bill,

Catalyzed Polyurethane is pretty toxic until it catalyzes. It released free iso-cyanides into the air. They attack the filter. You are usually good for awhile but I don't want to take the chance that the filter gets compromised. So I just change them out after I finish the clear coat. Fresh set the next time around.

PJ,

Yea, I wish I had that sort of setup. When I hit the Lotto, I'll build such a facility.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
Bill,

Catalyzed Polyurethane is pretty toxic until it catalyzes. It released free iso-cyanides into the air. They attack the filter. You are usually good for awhile but I don't want to take the chance that the filter gets compromised. So I just change them out after I finish the clear coat. Fresh set the next time around.

PJ,

Yea, I wish I had that sort of setup. When I hit the Lotto, I'll build such a facility.
Don Shultz

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
When I painted some motorcycle parts, I used my scuba tank and an old regulator no longer suitable for diving. Except for the tank which needs to be certified, undiveable but working scuba regulators are common on ebay for cheap. A 80 cubic foot scuba tank is good for several hours of air above water. Just toss a towel over the tank to keep the paint dust off of it.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »
Bill,

PJ,

Hi Randy (and PJ!)

I reckon it is a good practice to change them out, especially since the filters won't break the bank and lungs are not disposable.  Thanks for bringing that up!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
The CPR toon has a resemblance of Schultze on the ground.   LL~ LL~ LL~  I guess that is why I am going back to dope finishes.  Of course I hte to think of 50+ years using the stuff of what it's done to me.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here