News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:58:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Warden's Trophy Trainer  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Tom Warden's Trophy Trainer
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
I built two TT's back in the late 60's when I flew with Tom. After a 37 year lay-off from modeling I'm now on my third. As I recall, once trimmed out the TT flew very well. My finish will be nothing like the original, but then that one was built by Tom.

I'm hoping to have this one in the air within a few weeks, and then start a forth, which I'm hoping will look better.  :)

I'll report back after the maiden flight. Sadly I don't have a good history with "maiden flights".

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Warden's Trophy Trainer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:42:31 AM »
Good looking plane.  Now remember a lot of bench trimming saves a lot of headaches later.  An engine that is broken in.  A fuel tank that is solid and don't leak.  The balance point as close as you can get it(maybe toward nose heavy to start).  Hang on front leadout a few degrees down in the nose.  And don't forget the wing tip weight.  Let us know how it all goes.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
Hi Doc; I'm ashamed to say my "maiden flight" problem was my own making. I built a Nobler arf and on it's maiden flight I picked up the handle upside down. Having said that, I have to add that on the previous days flying I had noticed that I had the strap on the "up" side, while everyone else in the club had it on the "down" side, so I moved it. The maiden flight was the first time I had to pick up the handle with the strap on the "down" side.

By the way, I did manage to make 3.75 laps that way.  ~^

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
Hi Brian,

The plane looks great in the air and on the ground. I believe it will prove to be a great plane. She flys nice and level. Lap time is around 5.3 seconds. Doesn't seem to need much trimming. I still think you need to install the OS46 but the McCoy seems to be doing a good job for you. See ya Tuesday, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
Well the maiden flight is over; engine run issues are my first concern. I'm running an old McCoy .40 Redhead and didn't get the muffler pressure set up correctly. I did one loop and the engine almost quit at the top. I was ready for that and just let the plane finish the loop. The engine recovered, but that was the last attempt to do anything.

More later;

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:36:14 AM »
Hope that old McCoy is broken in good.  Glad to hear you like the plane.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
Yes Doc; I think it is "weeeellllll" broken in  ;D I bought the old McCoy back in the 60's when I was flying very regularly. I has good compression and the front bearing seems as "tight" as it ever was.

I pulls the TT well, but so far I haven't got a set up that will let me go inverted and keep the engine run. A little tinkering is still ahead of me. I have the LA46 ready just in case.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Yes Doc; I think it is "weeeellllll" broken in  ;D I bought the old McCoy back in the 60's when I was flying very regularly. I has good compression and the front bearing seems as "tight" as it ever was.

I pulls the TT well, but so far I haven't got a set up that will let me go inverted and keep the engine run. A little tinkering is still ahead of me. I have the LA46 ready just in case.

Brian

HI Brian,

Have you raised the tank on the plane?  For your set up, I would go about 1/8th" higher with the centerline of the tank compared to the C/L of the engine.  Sounds like it is gong rich when inverted. (??)

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »
More on the inverted issue. I pulled the McCoy and put on the LA46. I think the plane gained 6 or 7 ounces in the process, all on the nose. As a result, I had to add tail weight, 3 ounces. Too much, the plane "hunted all over" during "level" flight; but, it did run inverted.

Now I have trim issues to resolve. The plane pulls great in level flight, but I loose all line tension at the top of the arc; I mean really lose it. I tried more engine offset, and while that increased line tension in level flight, it didn't help up top. I've been reading on the subject, and think I'll try moving the lead-outs forward. I've ordered an adjustable lead-out assembly from Sam's, so now I wait.

I put the old McCoy in what I refer to my "Rinkydinkmaster"; it's an old Ringmaster I flew back in the 60's and have "restored". The dang McCoy ran inverted on this plane! Not perfect, but surprisingly well. So well, I flew the complete  pattern, albeit a very sloppy pattern, for the first time in over 37 years. As sloppy as it was, it felt good.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »
Glad to hear you found a home for the old trusty McCoy.  Also great to hear you are getting things working.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:32:32 AM »
Hi Brian,

Just wondering what does the plane weight with the OS .46LA?  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:58:23 AM by Joe Yau »

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »
The TT hits the scale at 53.6 ounces with the LA46; and that's after pulling some of my tail weight off. I've been using an 11/6 Master Airscrew, but just received my order of 3 blade props (Master Airscrew) from Tower. I'm going to install a 10/7 and see what happens. A big reason for the change is the grass field where I fly, the 11" prop often digs in during take off. Somewhere here on the forums I think I also read that a 3 blade prop may produce more line tension at the top.

Ty; what do you mean by "not overly responsive"?  ??? That description fits my TT to the "T". It's especially "not overly responsive" on outside maneuvers. I have about 30 degrees elevator deflection, and I think that should be enough. I know part of the lack of response is my lack of good line tension at the top of the arc.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
Ty; do your TT's have adjustable leadouts installed? Mine doesn't and I think my issue with lack of line tension at the top may be related to that. I built my current TT with the leadouts positioned as drawn on Tom's original plans. When I hold the plane by the leadouts the nose is down about 5-10 degrees.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Well today I took the TT out again (Tuesday 9/8). I made several changes prior to this day and they included: I adjusted the handle so that I could apply more "down" control. I replaced the 11/6 two blade with a 10/7 three blade (both Master Airscrew), I took out some engine offset and finally I moved the clevis on the elevator from the middle hole to the top (more throw) hole. Then I took off at 8800 rpm (close to what I've been using). What a difference! Still not the airplane I'm wanting, but an 80% better plane.  #^   #^

I'm still loosing tension at the top of the arc, but not as much. From reading these forums, that may be in-part due to the switch from a 2 blade, to a 3 blade prop. I was able to complete the pattern, but both the vertical 8 and the hourglass were . . . shall we say . . . uh, bad. But hey, I did them!

Ty, if your still listening, I think your TT coming out of a maneuver flat and smooth is as much to do with your ability, as the airplane's ability!

I still have to move the leadouts forward, and will, when the parts arrive.

Any feedback is welcome!

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here