News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tissue over sheet balsa?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Charles Hofacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
tissue over sheet balsa?
« on: September 27, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »
Do y'all put tissue over bare balsa sheet? or fill the wood grain with primer/filler? I tried putting tissue over bare balsa sheet  on a profile fuselage with clear dope then filling and sanding and have several problems: 1) tissue over laps: every where the tissue overlaps it leaves two ridges that print through even after much sanding. and 2) wrinkles in the tissue: some areas of the tissue were wrinkled before doping the tissue down. Now those wrinkles seem to be permanent - I can't get them out even after much sanding. If you you do use tissue over bare balsa sheet, what is your technique? What kind of tissue do you use? Where do you get it? It seems that silkspan is no longer available. Poly Span and other polyester(?) tissues are very difficult to get to go around compound  curves and seem to be a major pain in ascii to sand...

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: tissue over sheet balsa?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
Yes, I cover bare balsa with silkspan.  I get medium weight silkspan from a place called Easy Built Models.  It is the real stuff, just like we used to get years ago.

Here is the way I do it, but there are other methods that will work:  I apply clear dope, maybe two coats, to the bare wood.  Sand lightly.  Dampen the silkspan and apply dope thru the wet silkspan.  After this dries, I will apply two more coats of clear, then sand.

As far as the ridges go, it is better to tear the silkspan, leaving a somewhat ragged edge.  After several coats of dope and sanding, this edge will disappear.  Do the same with the overlapping piece and you will hide that edge pretty well.  A cut edge, as you discovered, is harder to hide.

I see no advantage to using polyspan over bare wood.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
I've used both silkspan and "domestic" (cheap) tissue.  For this application, even tissue from shoeboxes seems to work.  On flat or mildly contoured surfaces I only tack it around the edges, and then shrink it with water (if it's tissue) or put it on damp (if it's silkspan).  I've found that silkspan has to go on damp (although I think this may vary by brand -- I've only ever used Sig).  Tissue can go on damp or dry.  Once it's dry I go over it with dope, and it sticks right down.

Don't think to do this with Esaki tissue -- the stuff is so nice and tightly made that dope won't soak through, and you'll never get complete adhesion with the underlying dope.  You've been warned.

For really contoured surfaces like wingtips or cowls, I'll use strips (torn, as already mentioned) put on damp and held down with dope.  You want to start at one end and work it progressively, keeping wrinkles out as you go.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
If you do use Polyspan over bare wood such as on a profile fuselage, it will make it incredibly strong. That is the advantage over silkspan.

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 12:53:21 AM »
If you do use Polyspan over bare wood such as on a profile fuselage, it will make it incredibly strong. That is the advantage over silkspan.

Mike

Silk will make it even stronger and the silk will lay down easier.

Both those materials tear easily, silk won't. 
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »
Tissue covering over wood increases torsional strength considerably.  This permits the use of thinner wood and results in stiff construction with less weight.  Silkspan or paper tissue is a bit more difficult to manage over sheet balsa, so I like to use carbon "veil".  It dopes down easily, and the seams disappear completely after a few coats of dope.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here