Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Tissue Over Polyspan

(1/1)

Joe Rice:
I was wondering if anyone has experience with applying tissue over polyspan...the process, benefits and results.  I have a couple of Vector ARC projects and am contemplating covering and finishing alternatives.

Joe Rice

Allan Perret:
I have applied colored domestic tissues over silkspan and polyspan as a trim, with only clear dope on top of tissue.
Takes a bunch of coats to fill the tissue.  Keep it out of sun as much as possible,  because it fades easy..

Randy Powell:
Ask Mark Scarborough. He did that with his latest classic, The Avenger. He's still complaining about the extra 2oz or so he added this way, but it's pretty strong, that's certain.

Mark Scarborough:
Yeah,
Like I am the only one in this conversation that complains about weight! lol
I covered the Avenger with Polyspan first, I LOVED it, it filled faster and streched, * shrunk* nicely. However after I had it all filled and ready to start sanding, I discovered that the psuedo I beam wing on the Avenger was pretty weak torsionally, I could impart a pretty good twist in it with out much force. So after much deliberation I decided to cover it over with slikspan which then made the wing totally strong and rigid.
The poly span is much more puncture resistant than silkspan. so I ahve the rigidity of the silkspan, with the puncture resistance of the polyspan. Were I to do it intentionaly though, I would apply the polyspan, brush one coat of shrinking dope on it, then apply the silkspan and dope it. That way I think you could save a bunch of weight in the long run. Thats my experience, for what its worth.

Joe Rice:
OK...straight up polyspan it is.  Thanks for the all of your replies....

Tight Lines,

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version