News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tips for masking off perfect invasion stripes  (Read 1595 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tips for masking off perfect invasion stripes
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
I have never painted invasion stripes before and I'm looking for any tips by someone that has. Specifically masking them off over the top and bottom curves, keeping them straight. It's for a built up fuselage, with full invasion stripes on the Spitfire. Thanks.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tips for masking off perfect invasion stripes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
One reply. Thanks for the tips Ty. I Guess  there's not alot of need for invasion stripes on Flite Streaks.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »
I find that using the fine, 1/8th wide 3 M blue tape, I can keep the lines straight. I then use wider paper masking tape to fill in.  Either way, it is time consuming and do not get in a rush. But you already knew this..  The irony here is in many photos taken on the day before D-Day show that many of those stripes were any thing but neat and some were actually brushed on with brooms.  Based on info under the photos. Over a thousand planes and only a few hours to paint them. D>K

Only difference with me is I would use .25" fine line green 3M tape because I have some.

But it really doesn't matter.

Get the first edge straight then measure off of that edge for the others.

C
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
Thanks Charles.👍

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
As I'm not a fan of invasion stripes, I didn't post my first message. For one thing, the ribs/cap strips have to be dead-nuts straight and parallel or the invasion stripes will show it badly. I have done "racing stripes" before, but they're easier, being only one per panel.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »

A laser pointer will give you a straight line over a curved surface. I mark the line with pencil dots and then mask with whatever tape works. As mentioned, very time consuming and as Charles and Ty pointed out, photos of actual invasion stripes show they are a mess. The issue to me is, how would ragged stripes be judged when you're trying for a front row finish.

Ara

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »
Good tips guys. I found it helped some to use high contrast tape like Avaiojet pointed out. I went with a blue postal rubber band and nudged it back and forth, using a paper template from the rear fusalage post to the first stripe. This got the  sides right. For the top and bottom I just eyeballed it from the top and bottom of the fuse. After measuring and eyeballing it 30 times I layed down the green 3M vinyl tape beside the elastic. @ Ara. How would ragged stripes be judged? They would get put out in the hallway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:07:36 AM by kevin king »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »
That is like the gentleman that flew a semiscale plane with scale finish and severely down graded for appearance in stunt one year. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
It's a shame. I think scale is 10 times the effort put into stunt planes. I barely have the patience to paint.
a Sig Banshee lol.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here