blank
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 08:59:04 PM by Motorman »

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Colorizing Finishing Resin
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
Yes, works fine.  You can get pigments from many of the composite supply places like Fiberglast.  I expect there are things you already have on hand that will work as well.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
If you have a local, small, auto paint distributor ask them for some colors.  It may cost something.  I needed black, asked a couple ounces( a little goes a long way).  He pumped some into a small can and said no charge.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
Long ago, I used red RIT dye to dye some epoxy thinner to tint clear epoxy. It worked nicely, EXCEPT that some of the dye ran out of the epoxy when I got fuel on it, just like with dyed clear dope. I was shocked. What I found is that you'll really need a clear topcoat. I'd suggest pigment instead of dye, to start.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:51:56 PM »
Perhaps some similar strangeness to add to Steve's comment:

Sharpie markers have a dye that will bleed thru epoxy. I don't mean that the pigments in epoxy won't cover them up--I mean the Sharpie dye seems to migrate thru the epoxy. So you may "bleed" some kinds of dyes. In this case, the epoxy was 30 minute curing adhesive. It was not Zpoxy. I wouldn't expect it to behave differently, but it might.

I bought some pigments, but have been reluctant to try them. Not sure why, except I don't have a lot of confidence in my finishing abilities....

Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here