News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ted Fancher's Chisler (The OLD one!) [I ment the plane!]  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ted Fancher's Chisler (The OLD one!) [I ment the plane!]
« on: April 03, 2016, 04:29:33 PM »
It's taken me a couple (+) years to finally get the "Beautifully" built Chisler finished. I spent a year admiring the extraordinary craftsmanship of this beautiful ship.
Finally I brought myself around to covering and finishing it. Not without its (my) problems.  I won't go into that!

Suffice it to say: I can't paint worth schmit! But I tried hard to get a fairly good finish on it. Unfortunately I ran out of clear dope............Guess I shouldn't have sold it in Woodland!  ??? Thought I had a bunch left but it turned out to be thinner! LL~

Ted, I guessing you flew it on 60' lines? That's what I'll start with unless you tell me differently. I also have a 10/5 three blade on it.

OBTW: Since you said the OS 35-S was a bit marginal, I put one of my B-40's in it. Fit perfectly!

Thanks again for this beautifully built ship Ted.

Jerry

PS: It weighs 41oz's.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ted Fancher's Chisler (The OLD one!) [I ment the plane!]
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:16:24 AM »
Nice plane, Gerry. But what makes it Ted's Chizler?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »
Nice plane, Gerry. But what makes it Ted's Chizler?

I call it "Ted's" Chizler because Ted gave it to me. His work is excellent to say the least!
I know I won't get appearance points, but I don't care. It'll be a pleasure just to fly it. Now if I could just get a nice day to fly it......

Jerry

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »
I've been debating whether to buy the kit from RSM. Aesthetically, it's my favorite plane. I kinda wish it was a .60 size ship.
Any ideas about this plane and an OS 46 LA?

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »
I've been debating whether to buy the kit from RSM. Aesthetically, it's my favorite plane. I kinda wish it was a .60 size ship.
Any ideas about this plane and an OS 46 LA?

I don't see why you couldn't put an LA 46 in it. I know an ARF Nobler flies just fine with one and it is the same size ship.......... Also an ARF Oriental. (I've had both)

Jerry

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
Plane looks really good. I do like the solid color actually, although I am kind of a plain person, and it does not take away from the craftsmanship.

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
I call it "Ted's" Chizler because Ted gave it to me. His work is excellent to say the least!
I know I won't get appearance points, but I don't care. It'll be a pleasure just to fly it. Now if I could just get a nice day to fly it......

Jerry

Hi Gerald,
Wow! what a great flying Flying model.  Ted let me fly that model at VSC when I crashed my Chief.  It flew really nice and with only two practice flights,  I went for an official flight.

It was a lot of fun to fly,
Mikey

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
Mikey,

That's great to know! Thanks for telling me and I hope it flies as good now as it did then.

Went out to fly it last week end but the wind wasn't co-operating so I chose to wait for another (better) day.

Tight lines, Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »
Put two flights on the Chisler today.  %^@

And all I can say is "WOW!" What a great plane! This ship flies better than my best effort..... y1

I have my B-40 in it on 60' .015" lines. Took 3-1/2 OZ's to do the pattern. Had to extend the gear 1" for our grass field. No biggie.

Ted, you did a great of building this one and I'm really happy that you gave it to me.  Thank you.

And just in case you want to get rid of any other fine planes you have.......Heh, heh!

Tight lines, Jerry

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
Jerry,

Holy Cow.  Believe it or not I just today read this thread for the first time.  I'd often wondered if you ever got that thing refinished.  Glad it worked out well for you.

Yes, indeed, it was (is?) a very good flying airplane.  IIRC it took second in Nostalgia at the Nats one year and I think won a VSC as well.

I don't doubt you flew it well quickly.  I remember one contest in Woodland I made the mistake of letting Brett fly it and on his first flight he managed to make second place the best I could do that day.

Ted

P.s. Just to make it clear, I gave it to Gerald because the covering had begun splitting in several places and after just a little effort to strip it I got frustrated and hung it on the  ceiling.  At some point Jerry showed interest and there it went.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:47:23 PM »

I don't doubt you flew it well quickly.  I remember one contest in Woodland I made the mistake of letting Brett fly it and on his first flight he managed to make second place the best I could do that day.

Oh, you remember *that*, do you? As I recall, both of those flights were blubbery rich, but acceptable because of otherwise perfect conditions. I may have given bad advice on the setting for your flight, but when I did it later, I got it even richer for some reason. I was way ahead until I noticed they gave me appearance points, then it was pretty close.  Something didn't quite add up, I did two good flights, but not 20 points better.

The airplane flew exceptionally well and with .014x58' solids, it was like your fingers were connected directly to the bellcrank.

That was the last time I entered one of these on a whim the day of the event, because while I entered on a lark and won, it knocked the guy with whom I had spent the entire previous day working, and who built his own airplane, out of 2nd or 3rd, and into 4th. Didn't seem like it was fair just to feed my own ego.

Brett

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:04:49 AM by Brett Buck »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here