News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tape for masking large areas - what do you use?  (Read 1732 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tape for masking large areas - what do you use?
« on: November 06, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
Guys,
Recently working on a checkerboard area and I was using 3M Blue and Pink painters tapes to mask off the squares . Once the tape was down I sprayed on a coat of clear to seal the edge. After spaying the color and removing the tape found that the both tapes left an adhesive residue.

Doing some online searches I found that 3M does not recommend using their painters tape with nitro lacquers or dope as it can get through the tape backing and leave the adhesive residue. Seems the tape backing is porous and the thinner can get through. The fine line tapes doesn't have this problem but it is quite pricey. I was wondering what tapes others have used and who sells them.

Best,    DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tape for masking large areas - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »
When I was still using dope and paint I started using what is called Press-n-seal.   It goes on easy and if surface is clean will not bleed the dope/paint under the edges.   A side not, don't leave it on for more than a day or so as the adhesive will stay put in some places.   Does clean up good with alcohol if you don't over do it. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 04:09:08 PM »
I use K-tape to mask trim on dope.  No clear needed to seal teh edges.  Use fresh tape and be clean and meticulous.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Shop-Fineline-Masking-Polytape/dp/B007VTQ7XW

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 06:40:22 AM »
I've started using FROG tape. The Green stuff. It works great and does not require me to clear coat after putting the tape down.

I have not used it extensively yet but results are encouraging

#^
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Online Ken Bird

• 2020 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
When it comes to crepe masking tape, I've always used 3M Automotive #233. It works very well with dope. I have found that the vinyl Fineline tapes can sometimes be problematic with dope. The dope does not appear to bite to the tape and results in small "fins" of dope at the masked edge. 

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:10:55 PM »
When it comes to crepe masking tape, I've always used 3M Automotive #233. It works very well with dope. I have found that the vinyl Fineline tapes can sometimes be problematic with dope. The dope does not appear to bite to the tape and results in small "fins" of dope at the masked edge.
I know what you mean about the those edge of paint that stick up. Maybe scuffing the tape up would help minimize that.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »

Why do you still use dope?

Not one of my models has a drop of colored dope on them!

And I can paint them in one or two days!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Bird

• 2020 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »

Because I choose to.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
Because I choose to.

I choose not to but I can give reasons why.

I'm curious why so many use colored dope?

I can also give reasons why I use the paint system I use.

Nothing to see here.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »

Not one of my models has a drop of colored dope on them!

And I can paint them in one or two days!

And none of them fly either. You seem to forget or think it's unimportant to 99.99% of us that the models will be flown. You have posted that you are selling things off because you have lost interest and have a better use for your time. Maybe you ought to go do whatever that is.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
I've used lacquer for finishes for a very long time. I've also used urethane for finishes. I've also used epoxy for finishes. I've used combinations of these for finishes. All have merits and issues. Lacquer is, generally, the lightest.

Then there is Mylar.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 06:47:59 AM »
Dennis --- Getting back to your original question:  I use 3M Automotive Performance Masking Tape.  It's green in color.  You can get it at almost any auto parts store (like AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly, etc.)  The 1/4" wide tape is good for curves as long as the radius isn't too small, and I use the 3/4" wide stuff for everything else.  I don't seal the edge with clear, but I do go over every edge with the handle of my knife (just a blunt metal object.)  I have never had any bleed under the tape, but I do spray several light coats.  I don't know how it would perform if you brushed.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
The local O’Reilly here has the green 3M tape but you have to ask for it at the counter. Same with the better thinners and reducers. The stuff on the shelf out in the store is the common stuff like you find in big box home improvement stores.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here