News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Monokote  (Read 1623 times)

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Monokote
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
Going through my stash I found a few rolls of Monokote I picked up at Flea Markets. Some are marked Super Monokote and some are just marked Monokote. Does anyone out there know if there is a difference between the two kinds.

TIA

Rich

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Monokote
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:04 PM »
Going through my stash I found a few rolls of Monokote I picked up at Flea Markets. Some are marked Super Monokote and some are just marked Monokote. Does anyone out there know if there is a difference between the two kinds.

TIA

Rich

Yes, the difference is one is super, and one is not.

Seriously, I've never really noticed any noticeable difference to be noted.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
From the Top Flite Website-

Has MonoKote changed over the years? I have a few rolls of covering that say "Super MonoKote" on the wrapper and newer rolls that say "MonoKote". What is the difference?

No major changes have been made to the formulation in the past 15 years. That is not to say that slight changes are not made from time to time to conform to constantly changing EPA regulations. This is primarily concerning solvents, the adhesive/pigment package has remained virtually unchanged since the upgrade to "Super MonoKote" . With this in mind please be aware that not all colors are made exactly the same-some colors adhere better than others, some offer more opacity and so on. But they all have essentially the same characteristics.

Concerning the change from MonoKote to Super MonoKote and back to MonoKote. The original material sold was "MonoKote" this was only on the market for about 5-6 years before it was upgraded to "Super MonoKote". It has remained Super MonoKote ever since. We stopped using the "Super" designation (but changed nothing in the formulation) because most of the modelers involved in the hobby today do not remember the original MonoKote. This created some confusion with some modelers wondering about "regular" MonoKote.

As a final thought, you will note that we did not change the "Super" designation on the roll itself. The imprint of "Super MonoKote" is still stamped on the edge of every roll.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill, clears everything up.

Rich

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
   The original Monokote did not work very well, and it was removed from the market. It's replacement was Super Monokote once it was reformulated. That was darn near 50 years ago!!If you had the proper catalogs to look it up, you might see that they had different part numbering. When Great Planes bought Top Flight, I would imagine it went under some changes, as most who used it a lot would attest to.  When the purchase of the company went through, it is my understanding that anything having to do with the original Top Flite name was trashed and destroyed, including tooling and dies for all kits. The R/C kits that were kept were completely re-engineered and repackaged. With all that "change", it would be hard to believe that they didn't change anything in Monokote.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
At my age I remember the original MonoKote.  Byron Meriwether had a small hobby shop and got it in and was looking for people besides his self to try it.  You had to be careful as it was sticky.  In other words you had to make sure the adhesive surfaces did come into contact with it self.  You still had iron it down to get it to adhere to the model.   The new Super Monokote eliminated the sticky surface and was activated by heat.   I don't think you will find any of the original Monokote as I think Byron sent what he had back to Top Flite. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 06:24:55 AM »
The original Monokote  became trim Monokote and when first introduced was advised to be put on after you used silkspan to cover the wings.
As Doc wrote super Monokote was dry adhesive and was capable of absorbing high heat and staying taunt when applied. It was so good I used it for 40 years. Enter Tower Hobbies and suddenly you had crap. It didn't stay shrunk and it did not stick well at all. Blaming it on the EPA was nonsense as Ultrakote has never been sanctioned by the EPA to the best of my knowledge. A little fast forward in my Monokote history. I picked up a few rolls of yellow  and white Monokote. I used the White to cover a Magician and sure enough it sagged the next day and was coming loose. I removed it and covered the wing with Silkspan and then used the remaining stock of white to recover the wing and it has been perfect for about 5 years with no touch up needed. It also had the benefit of making a really rigid wing.
i used the Yellow on a 60 sized Flite Streak using the same process with the same results.
That said I really don't want to have to do a job twice so it is Ultrakote for me and I'm more that pleased with its results.
Oh, and a final on the 2 Monokote covered models. They are over 5 years old and the both of them are still wrinkle free and the new owner is pleased with them. Moral of the story use Silkspan first then Monokote and wonder why you had to cover the model 2X. The one advantage is that it makes it easy to put multiple colors on your model with no problems of lifting or separating of the 2 pieces when solidly adhered to the silkspan.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

It's all been a hoax, there's nothing "super" about Monokote.  n1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 05:35:58 AM »
Super Monokote is iron on, I always suspected that regular Monokote just became the trim sheets.

AMA 76478

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
It's all been a hoax, there's nothing "super" about Monokote.  n1

You should have tried the original. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 06:39:12 PM »
You should have tried the original. D>K

John,

Trim Monokote is what was originally Monokote. I hope you remember how the adhesive ruined the bottom of the covering iron and how almost impossible it was to get rid  of it. I tolerated it for awhile and then super Monokote was introduced and it was  100% better than the original.
I firmly believe that Tower in their usual business mode cheapened it as much as they could while holding the price at its retail selling point. They got away with it for awhile but most including myself abandoned it pronto for a better product.

Dennis

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 05:22:43 AM »
I just used two rolls of Super Monokote by Hobbico. It's changed again. It's thinner, the glue reacts differently and the smell is a lot stronger.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here