News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Striping Tape  (Read 733 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Striping Tape
« on: April 05, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
Anyone know of a black striping tape thin enough to not look stupid that can live under the clear coat?
I have some of that R/C stuff.  Is there anything better?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Striping Tape
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:35:26 PM »
Anyone know of a black striping tape thin enough to not look stupid that can live under the clear coat?
I have some of that R/C stuff.  Is there anything better?

Ken

I use only 3M auto tape from the auto paint supply shop. Not Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc., but the store that supplies paint to the local body shops. Our store can order any color, size, or multi-stripe I ask for. It's not cheap, but the quality is second to none. I seal it in a plastic bag and it lasts a long time. R/C and other "cheaper" types of tape is a complete disaster for our level of desired quality. I always spray some form of 2 part clear over it and never had a problem.

Paul 

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
I use only 3M auto tape from the auto paint supply shop. Not Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc., but the store that supplies paint to the local body shops. Our store can order any color, size, or multi-stripe I ask for. It's not cheap, but the quality is second to none. I seal it in a plastic bag and it lasts a long time. R/C and other "cheaper" types of tape is a complete disaster for our level of desired quality. I always spray some form of 2 part clear over it and never had a problem.

Paul
I have some 3m vinyl masking tape from such a store.  I needed credit references to buy that!   I assume you are referring to striping not masking tape.  I will have to stop by Monday.  Thanks!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 12:04:12 PM »

Paul
Our local English Paint store which has about every automotive finishing thing you could want does not carry any striping tape.  They tried to sell me the 1/8" blue stuff that we use for masking.  Really weird.  That 3M stuff is all over the Web though.

Just out of curiosity:

I am not suggesting it but has any body tried Nail Striping Tape that they use in the beauty salons?  It is thin, cheap, comes in way too many colors.  Plus it is designed to be clear coated.  Since I am electric, the only chance of fuel getting on it is if I set the plane down in a pipe puddle on the circle.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
Our local English Paint store which has about every automotive finishing thing you could want does not carry any striping tape.  They tried to sell me the 1/8" blue stuff that we use for masking.  Really weird.  That 3M stuff is all over the Web though.

Just out of curiosity:

I am not suggesting it but has any body tried Nail Striping Tape that they use in the beauty salons?  It is thin, cheap, comes in way too many colors.  Plus it is designed to be clear coated.  Since I am electric, the only chance of fuel getting on it is if I set the plane down in a pipe puddle on the circle.

Ken

Ken,

Have you tried ordering from the web? I recently ordered some 1/4" 3M auto striping tape off the internet. I ordered thru Amazon, but I didn't look at other sources because they had exactly what I wanted. Might have better luck than at the auto store.

Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here