News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Storing dope  (Read 929 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Storing dope
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:57:25 PM »
Today appears to be my day for asking questions that should be obvious.

What do you do to store dope that's already mixed with thinner?  If I use a jelly jar, the seal in the lid turns to goo because of the thinner vapors.  If I use a cardboard gasket with a jelly jar, the thinner slowly evaporates.

I'm about to start painting...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Storing dope
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
Could try one or more layers of plastic or aluminum foil over jar and screw on cap.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »
I have also found that the glass jars from pickles, jelly, etc. do not seal well at times.  Some are OK, others leak after a while.  I have not seen obvious seal damage from the vapors but it does not take much damage to cause a leak.  I will most likely get some of the metal cans for long term storage.

A local auto paint store has the metal cans in various sizes.  I also save the empty cans of clear dope to store other colors.   

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
I just found these.  I think I'm gonna spring for 'em!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »
Tim, I think the cans are the way to go.  In addition to the lids of the jars leaking, there is the risk of dropping a jar on the garage floor.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
A word of warning.  Cans are a perfect choice but you have to make sure the cans are unlined.  Cans for latex paints are  coated on the inside to prevent corrosion.  If you store solvent based paint like dope your paint wjll be ruined in a short time.  Get your cans fron an auto paint dealer and be sure to inqure if tbey are lined.  I ruined an entire gallon of clear dope and didn't rezlize it until I sprayrd a model with it.  Dope didn't harden and was like sanding rubber to get it off.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
A word of warning.  Cans are a perfect choice but you have to make sure the cans are unlined.  Cans for latex paints are  coated on the inside to prevent corrosion.  If you store solvent based paint like dope your paint wjll be ruined in a short time.  Get your cans fron an auto paint dealer and be sure to inqure if tbey are lined.  I ruined an entire gallon of clear dope and didn't rezlize it until I sprayrd a model with it.  Dope didn't harden and was like sanding rubber to get it off.

Oops -- stuff is already ordered.  Was it obvious that it was lined, or was it clear?
AMA 64232

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
I really don't remember Tim.  I have seen some that have a greyish looking interior at a Home Depot though. The clear dope I  ruined didn't appear any different.   I noticed it after I  has about 3 coats on and started sanding.  This was when I was clear coating.  I was a very unhappy camper.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »

FWIW, my favorite mixing jars are Tostitos salsa jars, they're a nice convenient size with a wide mouth for both filling and pouring, never had any issues with the seal either. Christmas and Super Bowl party season is fast approaching so it should be easy to add some empties to your stockpile.  ;D

As another thought, I've never tried it, but maybe a good thing for longer term storage would be to put the sealed jar inside a Ziploc baggie?

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
Using canning jars for mixing, thinning and storing dope I use parchment paper between the lids and the jar.  Yes the dope does eat the rubber seal.   I have tried wax paper and the clear backing off Monokote,  both no good for me. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
I use large metal cans  quart and half gallon to decant Randolph typical gallons into... cuz the typical gallon paint can is a royal PITA to deal with

Mixed and thinned dopes get put in 4 or 8 oz Ball Pickling jars with wide mouthed lids marked...Parchment or Tin foil to stop the thinner from farkling up the rubber seal
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »
Once I open a steel dope can, I transfer it to a glass or a Nalgene HDPE bottle. Dope seems to be corrosive and rusts, more so when partially filled because of the air present. For mixed dope, I finally broke down and bought glass jars with teflon seals from McMasterCarr. See: https://www.mcmaster.com/glass-jars Pricey, but I think worth it.

For storing thinner, I've been using empty drug store acetone and the 90% rubbing alcohol bottles. The acetone and rubbing alcohol is used for cleaning parts/stripping tissue.

NormF -  lifetime doper.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here