News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:42:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stits with polyspan  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Aaron Novak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Stits with polyspan
« on: February 15, 2020, 06:25:16 PM »
Hey Guys,
 New to the group here and have a question. Has anyone had any experience with using stits ( I.E. poly-tak, poly-brush, poly-tone) with polyspan covering? Looking to replicate the look of doped silkspan, and I have a literal ton of stits chemicals from my full-size hobby. I used sig koverall on the last build but id like to have the paper and not fabric weave. I did a small test frame and it worked well, just looking for anybody else's long term experience. Thanks!

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: Stits with polyspan
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
Should work fine but likely to be heavy.
Mike

Offline Aaron Novak

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:14:07 PM »
Shouldn't be much different than dope right? At least in the full size world the weight different between Ceconite vs Stits ( Dope vs vinyl ) is pretty much zilch. I know its a tad heavier than plastic film, but I can afford an extra half ounce. Polyspan with dope has been holding up pretty well according to reports from others, but I just hate having to buy dope when I have gallons of left over stits material to use up. Call me frugal haha.

Offline Aaron Novak

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:45:56 PM »
Thats the plan. I want to still see the weave of the covering material and not bury it in paint.  I have an alley kat that was built in '76 and covered in silkspan and minimal dope. Still looks great and flies great 40+ years later, and I attribute this in part to the minimal coating thickness.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
Thats the plan. I want to still see the weave of the covering material and not bury it in paint. 

I don't think polyspan is a woven material, there is no weave to see, unless we are talking about two different things.

Brett

Offline Aaron Novak

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
Weave is probably not the best word I could have chosen. Pattern or Grain is probably better.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:26:35 AM »
Hey Guys,
 New to the group here and have a question. Has anyone had any experience with using stits ( I.E. poly-tak, poly-brush, poly-tone) with polyspan covering? Looking to replicate the look of doped silkspan, and I have a literal ton of stits chemicals from my full-size hobby. I used sig koverall on the last build but id like to have the paper and not fabric weave. I did a small test frame and it worked well, just looking for anybody else's long term experience. Thanks!

Poly-Tone is not fuel proof or even fuel resistant.  On full-scale airplanes it takes on the color of the dye in 100 LL fuel.  On our models it would not be satisfactory with IC engines.  If you are flying electric I'd say go for it; Poly-Fiber (Stits) process is easy to use and has long life and does not shrink which is good with Polyspan or other coverings that are heat shrunk and do not need further shrinking.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Aaron Novak

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
It may not be fuel proof with anything over 20%, but I have had no issues with it and sport fuel for the last 20 years I have used it. I just haven't used it with the polyspan before, just fabric.

On second thought, there was an issue I had once, but that was before I mixed my own fuel. The pre-mixed fuel had acetone in it.....and that will soften many coatings, as well as wreck fuel tubing etc.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:22:20 PM by Aaron Novak »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »
It may not be fuel proof with anything over 20%, but I have had no issues with it and sport fuel for the last 20 years I have used it. I just haven't used it with the polyspan before, just fabric.

On second thought, there was an issue I had once, but that was before I mixed my own fuel. The pre-mixed fuel had acetone in it.....and that will soften many coatings, as well as wreck fuel tubing etc.

I would very strongly suggest that you at least consider Bill's advice, he is a professional. But, up to you, of course.

Brett

Offline Aaron Novak

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 02:23:53 PM »
There are probably quite a few of on these boards with full size experience......seems  that a love of aviation knows no scale. Hence....all the leftovers of stits materials I have from past projects haha.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 06:47:06 AM »
Having worked with all of the above, I would go for it. The dye in aviation grade fuel will stain about anything and our nitro fuels can damage many finishes and glues. I keep a small bottle of pure Nitro on my work bench to clean up CA glue that has gotten on places I don't want it to, like my shirt. The key is not getting raw fuel in places where it can cause harm, the burned fuel is basically just oil. If you're worried about it just go test your fuel on one of the spots in your hangar where you dripped some Poly Tone, my hangar has plenty  of opportunities for that.. I'm a fan of the Ceconite process myself but that is more nostalgic than anything else as I like tinted clear finishes.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here