News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sticky finish fixes  (Read 751 times)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sticky finish fixes
« on: April 20, 2020, 10:40:28 PM »
Hi everyone. I was putting the clear on my first polyspan dope model. First coat of clear was fine. Somehow in the second and third coat it got sticky and a week later is still sticky. Is there a fix for this? I was thinking of shooting straight thinner on the model to try to release whatever is making it sticky.

Sig supercote. Polyspan. Sig supercote. Brodak butyrate color. Model was dry and fine, no stickiness at all. Brodak butyrate clear. fine. brodak butryate clear, and again clear. Sticky.
I may have left a drop of my spray gun cleaner in the can which could have caused the mess? Not sure.

Any ideas appreciated.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Sticky finish fixes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:00:50 AM »
David, what are you using to clean your spraygun?  You should just be using lacquer thinner.
Alan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:36:03 AM »
   Try putting it out in direct sun light for a few hours and see what happens before doing anything drastic. Then I would just try wet sanding it very gently with some dish washing detergent in the water you soak the sand paper in. Try a spot on the bottom of the wing.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
When I read your post, I thought you might have a compatibility issue between brands of dope.  But, you said the Brodak color dope, over Sig dope, was fine.  No problems.  Your problem appeared after the final clear coats with Brodak clear, correct?  And, how long has it been "staying sticky?"

Incompatibility evidence, from what I was told by those more experienced and adept at painting, would be almost immediate but maybe in your case it took more time for the two products to mix and cause your problem.

I also wonder if you might have mixed up the thinners.  Although some have used Brodak or Randolph thinner with Sig dope, I never took that chance.  After testing Sig clear over Brodak on scrap pieces, I have used Sig clear for the final clear over Brodak or Randolph colors , but I used the Sig thinner.

Sig dope and Brodak dope have very different odors.  That does not mean one can't be used over the other but I would not take the chance unless I tried it out on some scrap test pieces to be sure.

You have nothing to lose by trying Dan's suggestion but even if it finally dries as it should, I wonder about the durability of the finish.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:13:51 AM »
What Dan said.

The other thing I'll say is what I always say. You are better off using manufacturer's recommendations for their products. Much as Jim said, using different thinners with random products will often result in issues.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »
David, what are you using to clean your spraygun?  You should just be using lacquer thinner.
Alan

I was using a hardware store product called Cleaner of some sort. I discovered that it turned dope to a gluey jelly. I am worried that I may have left some in the bottom of the spray can. I will not be using it anymore.

But I vote for all products to be compatible with all other products. Maybe I lost the election.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 10:26:48 AM »
It looks like you found the problem.

As was mentioned, use regular lacquer thinner to clean a spray gun when using dope.  The lacquer thinner works well enough for that purpose and does not cost that much.

I hope you can salvage the finish.  You might have no other option except to remove it as well as you can and start over.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 12:21:58 PM »
I've used Acetone to clean gun but I prefer lacquer thinner.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
One of my local flying buddies had the same problem and kept redoing his paint with the same result. Why? He was putting Nitrate over Butyrate dope
and did not know it until our expert finisher Marshall Palmer came over to his house and figured it out. Problem solved. On top of that I got a free gallon on Non Tautening Nitrate dope.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
I'm not sure of the cause yet, incompatibility of some kind. Hopefully just with that stuff called cleaner.

Fixes: I tried the dish soap and sanded it with 1500. Tried direct sun. Then went on a house painter site and they suggested rubbing it with Mineral spirits. Tried a couple little sample areas (not that I had anything to lose at this point). And after one hour it seems it may have made a 70% improvement. It's my daughter's plane, and my polyspan dope experiment plane, so if it maintains the 70% improvement, I think I'll go with that. Perhaps with a second application I can get a 90% improvement.

Thanks for the ideas.

David

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here