News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: spraying Zpoxy  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
spraying Zpoxy
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:12:27 AM »
What do you guys use to thin Zpoxy for spraying?  What works best?

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: spraying Zpoxy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »
I have never heard of anybody spraying it. I have thinned it with methanol and then brushed it. It was hard to sand after only one day, but sanded fine after two days.

BB

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »
I have never heard of anybody spraying it. I have thinned it with methanol and then brushed it. It was hard to sand after only one day, but sanded fine after two days.

Thanks for replying.  How well did it level out?  I was hoping to spray it to achieve a very smooth finish as an isolation coat.  Previously, my attempts to repaint this older plane have resulted in reaction with whatever is in the surface (most likely synthetic lubricant from fuel).

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
I have thinned it with both acetone and alcohol then brushed it with a wide soft brush.  Acetone set up quicker than the alcohol but both went on thin and smooth.  Like Bill, mine didn't want to sand the first day but sanded clog free the second.  No brush marks to sand out either.  Don't see the benefit to spraying.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:20 AM »
I'm assuming that you are talking about Z-Poxy Finishing Resin. I've haven't tried thinning it out or spraying. Normally I will mix it and apply it to the wood surface and let it soak into the wood for several minutes. Then I take a heat gun over the area and wipe off all excess resin with a paper towel (some use a roll of toilet paper). Depending on how porous the wood is, I'll sand the piece the next day and apply another coat, doing the same process. Removing all the excess keeps weight down.

Dennis

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »
No brush marks to sand out either.

Since this is a refinishing job and the Zpoxy is to be used as an isolating coat I assumed that I would have to spray it to get a thin, even coat.  I was concerned about brushmarks.  Of course, my goal is to make the isolating coat as thin and light as possible so ragging it off as when finishing raw balsa would defeat the purpose.

After coating with Zpoxy I assume that I will have to sand with 600 to give it some bite for the follow-on dope color coats?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »
Since this is a refinishing job and the Zpoxy is to be used as an isolating coat I assumed that I would have to spray it to get a thin, even coat.  I was concerned about brushmarks.  Of course, my goal is to make the isolating coat as thin and light as possible so ragging it off as when finishing raw balsa would defeat the purpose.

After coating with Zpoxy I assume that I will have to sand with 600 to give it some bite for the follow-on dope color coats?
I found some really soft but firm brushes at Michael's in their bargain multi brush packs.  They were  enough of them that I could afford to throw them away.  I have yet to see a brush survive Z-Poxy and still be soft.  I can use them again for sticking down glass or covering but not for finish.

My biggest problem has been the waiting two days.  It will suck you in pretending it is cured then chuckle as it clogs your sandpaper.  After 2 days it powders up just like you were wet sanding only it is dry. I use 400 till all of the shiny spots are gone then go over it lightly with 600.  I doubt that you really need the 600 if you are going to spray and it might even adhere better.

ken

ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
Ken: thanks for the tip on brushes.  I was going to use one of my good ones.  I'll have to visit Michaels or AC Moore and find some disposables.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here